Discrete zoom in/out using the mouse in the canvas

Steps to reproduce

• Update Obsidian to the latest version
  • Use a canvas

Problem description

Since v1.1.15, zooming using the mouse in canvas is now discrete, not smooth as before. Is this a planned change? If the answer is yes, is it possible in the future to add the ability to adjust this parameter? I would like more fluidity when working with the canvas.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 11

I don’t think I’m seeing this behaviour in 1.1.16, but it’s hard to know as I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “discrete” vs. “smooth”.

Can you:

• test with the Sandbox Vault; and
  • provide a screen recording showing the issue?

I believe what they mean is that zooming with the mouse wheel no longer has a smoothing animation. The below gifs should illustrate the issue:
This is zooming using the mouse wheel
obsidian_non_smooth_zoom

This is zooming using the ui buttons
obsidian_smooth_zoom

Before updating to the latest version of Obsidian, zooming via the mouse wheel behaved like the button, and was smoother.

I have this issue on Windows 10 version 22H2 and Obisidian version 1.1.16

Cab you re-review this issue? I provided the information that was lacking in the original post.

Which mouse do you have and do you know which event the mouse scroll are mapped to?

I have win 11 22h2 and it works fine for me.

I have a logitech g403 hero, and I’m not sure which event mouse scroll is mapped to. Is that a change one would make in Obsidian? If so, I’m using whatever the default is. I don’t use any extra software/configuration for the mouse at the OS level either.

Ok I managed to repro/understand what you mean, but to be honest I don’t know if I consider this a “bug”. Please, open a feature request.

Perhaps you have a very high value here so this effect is more pronounced for you

1 Like

Why would this have changed between releases of Obsidian though? I’ve been using the same number of lines to scroll for years now, and it’s only at 10. I tried reducing it even lower and it does not fix the issue, which is that there is no smoothing to canvas zoom via the mouse. I think the gifs I posted above are fairly clear about the difference: there’s a discrete jump in zoom level using the mouse(which wasn’t the case in last the release), whereas the zoom UI button produces a smooth transition between zoom levels(which is how the mouse used to behave).

I’m not asking for a new feature, this was already in Obsidian as of a month or two ago.

I don’t recall if it was ever the same but the difference is currently intentional and it’s for performance reasons.

Feature request is here if anyone stumbles on this post.