Cursor Styling since 0.14.15

Does anyone know how to CSS style the cursor since 0.14.15?

This here:

.cm-cursor {
    border-color: #ff0000 !important;
    border-left-width: 0.2em  !important;
    opacity: 50% !important;
}

doesnt work anymore.

cheers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The text cursor has been made native in 0.14.8, the only thing you can change now is the color: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/caret-color, as well as the animation when in vim mode.

Here is the official announcement from the insider channel on discord, since it does not appear to be in the release notes:

PSA for theme developers: We’ve made a major change with respect to cursors and selection in the new (cm6) editor.

From now on, the primary cursor and selection will be native. Previously the native cursor and selection were hidden and we artificially render all pieces of selection using a <span> around the selected text.

This new way has several advantages:

• Much more performant, less battery drain. Native animations of the blinking cursor and selection pieces render faster and don’t require re-rendering as much when the selection changes.
  • Better compatibility with input methods. This fixes many issues with IME (input methods) for east asian languages (CJK).

ah i see. thx for the info :slight_smile:

@joethei or anyone else, any recommendations for an easy way for non-insiders to see ALL the changes since the last non-insider release (i.e. from 0.14.6 to 0.14.15)? Or should we be reading each of the individual release notes here on the forum or on github and trying to figure out what the net result is? Thanks!

Reading all the changelogs here is the only way I know of to read of all the changes.
(Except this specific change, which was mentioned after others noticed that their caret was gone too.)

1 Like

I was using Obsidian as my main writing environment. I strongly hate this. It’s bothering me more than I thought it would.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.