Cursor ends up before the letter on android Samsung keyboard

I can report the same issue on Samsung Keyboard. Additional info: For me, this happens after each spacebar in lines that have formatting applied, not only the first time after the formatting; example:

• bcda bcda bcda

Screen Recording of this behaviour is attached.
Screen_Recording_20240323_232554_Obsidian.zip (2.2 MB)

For me it happens on a Xiaomi Mi 9T running ArrowOS v11.0 Vanilla (no Gapps) with both AOSP and Openboard 1.4.5 keyboards, so definitely not limited to Samsungs.

I noticed it immediately after upgrading to v1.5.11. The “jumpy cursor” issue manifests itself in any special formatting (headers, italics…) but not in regular text. It is perfectly reproducible.

This is the most serious regression I have encountered so far in Obsidian mobile. I hope a fix will be quickly issued, as I haven’t been able to downgrade to the previous version using APKMirror version and this makes the app almost unusable.

2 Likes

+1 same issue here

Just bought obsidian

1 Like

How to downgrade

2 Likes

Is there a plan to fix this bug and if yes what’s the ETA?

4 Likes

Happening for me using OpenBoard on a Samsung Galaxy S20 running Android 13 and OneUI 5.1

For those affected, I found the easiest fix for now is to just downgrade to 1.5.8, by uninstalling the Google Play installed version and downloading and installing the 1.5.8 .apk file from here.

4 Likes

I have Samsung Tab S8+ with external keyboard. I have jumping curosr in all editing modes. The first letter after space was pressed will have curosr in front of the letter. If I move cursor or delete letter, then that word can be typed normally. Untill I again press space…

Thank you so much for linking to the official obsidian-releases, I didn’t know it existed! It allowed me to downgrade (after backing up my app data with NeoBackup). Now I can use Obsidian again :hugs:

3 Likes

Facing the same issue on Samsung Galaxy S23. Android 14, One UI 6.0 and Obsidian 1.5.11

1 Like

Also happens with FlorisBoard

I love Obsidian and its philosophy allows us now to easily use our notes with other apps while waiting for a patch (or even downgrade), but this bug is so easy to bump into that it makes me wonder if Android builds are being tested at all.

4 Likes

Dear obsidian developers,

I have one simple question:
When will this bug be fixed?

2 Likes

Same problem with e/os/ operating system (v.1.20). This problem appeared when updating Obsidian (running 1.5.11), so I reason it might be Obsidian’s “fault” and not e/os/.

I have this problem with three different types of keyboards (stock Android, OpenBoard and AnySoftKeyboard). Turning off some variants of text prediction and autocorrect on the OpenBoard removes the problem.

Since I want to use text-prediction, and this bug makes Obsidian practically un-usable, I’ve resorted to downgrading in wait of a fix.

I hope it gets resolved soon! :sun_with_face:

1 Like

Same issue with Samsung S24 Android 14 and Macbook pro M3 with Obsidian 1.5.11.

1 Like

When can we expect a fix? Thanks

3 Likes

I am not a programmer or techie type person. How do I downgrade ? The link previously posted does not help me as I don’t know how to execute the instructions. I love Obsidian but since I use predictive text I can’t use it on my phone. Very inconvenient. How does the everyday user, with no programming experience downgrade?

2 Likes

I’m having the same problem but realised it only happens when it’s in list mode (that is typing a “-” which then converts to a dot).

Version 1.5.11 (133)
Android 12
Samsung M51
Latest version patch of os

Observations are…

Without being in list mode, everything works.

In list mode, then

If I type out text, no issue.

But if i use swipe mode then after it gets the word (right) it repositions the cursor between the penultimate and last letters. To illustrate, say i swiped out the word “word”… this then happens. The cursor inserts between"r" and “d”.

wor□d

On my mobile app (android) when i try to create bullet point lists, the text after the initial bullet point starts to type out of order. Eg,

What i intend to write:
• Hi my name is

What ends up being typed out:
• y name is mih

Things I have tried

• Disabling all of my community plugins
• Restarting my phone
• Creating a new vault

nothing appears to be fixing it and it seems as though this issue came out of nowhere.
Please help, wishing everyone an amazing rest of their day!

1 Like

Issue was fixed by turning off predictive text on Samsung keyboard.

Isso also fixed by using Google Keyboard even with predictive text on.

The issue happens on on Google keyboard and some other keyboards if grammarly writing assistant is turned on.

Because Grammarly is intercepting the user input for spell check.

I have a fix for this and we will be releasing it very soon. It will come in v1.5.12.

8 Likes