Create new tabs without changing the active note

Use case or problem

I will often link several notes to notes that I will write in the future such as meeting notes. When it comes time to work on that future note, I like to open each of the notes that I will be incorporating in new tabs. This requires that I alternate back and forth between the note that I’m working on and its backlinks because opening a note in a new tab automatically focuses on the new tab. This is dissimilar to how existing products like Google Chrome and Firefox behave where “CTRL+Left Click” create new tabs without focusing on them and “CTRL+SHIFT+Left Click” creates and focuses on new tabs similar to Obsidian. As far as I can tell, these two inputs don’t function differently in Obsidian.

Proposed solution

Allow for users to create notes in new tabs without focusing on the new tab. Perhaps this might be done by offering similar hotkeys to those mentioned above that are used for Chrome and Firefox.

Current workaround (optional)

1. Open the note I want to write in.
  2. Open a backlinked note in a new tab.
  3. Use “CTRL+Shift+Tab” to move back to the note from step 1
  4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each backlinked note.

Related feature requests (optional)

1 Like

Also, when opened using the current process, the notes are presented in the opposite order according to how they’re opened (the last note opened is the tab immediately to the right of the note in step 1 above).

This has been requested in an older, more popular feature request. I’ll direct my attention (and yours) there..

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.