Create a link to a new file in a different folder

How do you create a new file in a different folder through a link. ie typing a [[link]] to a file in another folder. When I do it like this [[folder/file]] and then click on it, it says that the file already exists. The file is created but something isn’t quite right. What’s the correct way of doing this.

2 Likes

You only need the hierarchy to the page if it has a duplicate somewhere else in the vault.

Yes. If you want to link to a file. But my question is about how to create a file in a different directory through a link. You have to specify the hierarchy of where you want it to be created

1 Like

New files are created at the root directory by default or in a directory specified under settings > File & Links > Default location for new notes. After you create the file simply open it, cmd-p for the command pallet, type “move” and hit enter, and then move it to where you want it to go.

I know how to do that. But that’s again not what I’m asking about. I often create files from my daily notes. I want them to be in a different folder. Maybe someone else knows how to do this.

1 Like

Can you list out exact steps of what you are doing and what you want the outcome to be?

Here is what I just did:

1. Open my daily note
  2. Write a link to [[Projects/NewProj001]]
  3. Clicked to follow link

It created the file in that folder where we wanted it to go, you are saying you are seeing a different behavior or?

2 Likes

Thank you. They must have fixed this since the last time I tried this. It’s been on my list to ask for quite a while. When I last tried it I would get an error message every time. I just tried it now and it works.