Core Outline Plugin: highlight location of cursor/view

@ZenMoto :it only adds numbers to the headings, i.e. those numbers are part of the note. The plug-in does have a way to delete those numbers.

I asked the plug-in dev to add a highlight to the currently viewed heading; he said he would have a look but so far has not added it.

Okay, thank you for the reply.

Iā€™ve begun researching what JS it would take to highlight the current heading.

2 Likes

@ZenMoto If you manage to work it out, please post it here because I have wanted it for a long time. The Numbered Headings plug-in just does not feel quite complete without it.

FYI, another feature I asked from the dev is to not have the numbers written to the note. Typora does it quite nicely: you get the headings numbered in a virtual sort of way, but they are not part of the note.

He replied that it would require another plug-in.

3 Likes

this plugin even also collapses pre-defined headings and scrolls/shows headings as you go:

obsidian://show-plugin?id=obsidian-quiet-outline

3 Likes

Great find :eyes:

2 Likes

could we get some input from someone who knows whatā€™s on the obsidian-roadmap?

Is it actually on the radar of the devs? When can we expect this feature to arrive? any prio?

YES!. If you have a large outline and you are searching through it you can get lost so easily. If the outline panel showed where you are that would be fantastic!

Having to have the outline/ToC in a pane is a waste of screen real estate. I now use the floating toc plug-in instead, which also marks whereabouts you are in the note.

Personally, I feel that floating toc has a delay in use, waiting for each slide in, possibly in generating a directory.

This would also be a good alternative:
https://forum.obsidian.md/t/outliner-sync-with-note-while-scrolling/7100/23?u=jerviscui

@jerviscui I have not noticed any such delay, for me the plug-in works as expected, I have even been able to modify the font somewhat.

Love this idea!

I found this so am upvoting this instead of creating a new feature request.

2 Likes

I have some notes with a pretty long outline and it would be useful if the heading at which Iā€™m looking at / editing was automatically emphasized/highlighted somehow on outline.

Benefits

Useful for notes with long outlines; keeping a broader view of how the headings and ideas are connected; being aware of the content to be extracted from that heading.

Related feature requests

This is somehow related to this feature request: Outline does not remember stateā€”expands when note is edited, when app is relaunched, etc because I donā€™t think it was fully implemented in v1.3.1 and hereā€™s why: it is true that headings wonā€™t expand anymore, but outline position still moves as you edit when itā€™s long enough:

2023-08-19 10-22-24

As it can be seen on the previous gif, the scroll bar for the outline goes to somewhere near the middle of the note while editing. That makes even more difficult to keep track of where you are.

Any update on the Outline position highlight yet? It would be useful for longer notes.

2 Likes

Use case or problem

While editing a long and structured note, and even more while reading it, I sometimes lose my track on which paragraph/chapter/header I am writing under.

Proposed solution

I would find it useful to have the current header highlighted in the structure view (the same MS Word does when showing the structure on the side panel).

ā€œCurrent headerā€ could mean:

• READ MODE > the topmost header currently visible on screen
  • EDIT MODE > the header under which the cursor is blinking

Current workaround (optional)

Scrolling up until I see the first header available above my current position.
And also in this case, if it is (for example) an H3, I donā€™t always know the parent H2 and H1 unless i scroll even more - and also this information would be very useful sometimes to recap the full context (ā€œheader-wiseā€) of what I am writing/reading.

1 Like

structure view?

Outline (and thereā€™s already a request for this).

@Delbruck Iā€™m about to merge this thread into the other request, so you may want to save your text and post it there.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up. I was going to write that he meant Outline and add my vote to this feature.
So: +1

Sorry, in the italian UI itā€™s ā€œStrutturaā€ - and this is also the reason why my 30 minutes of searching did not lead to any result before opening my feature request. :man_facepalming:t2: Thanks for merging threads!

1 Like

Definitely useful, so I added my heart to the op

1 Like