Copy text to Topical note

How do you guys save text as relevant to a topic and keep all instances neatly organized?

Say you have a note called “Topic X”. You find yourself reading through another note (let’s call it “Topic Y”) and see something relevant to Topic X. You want to select and paste that text to the Topic X note quickly without leaving Topic Y. The text that’s now been copied from Topic Y to Topic X contains some sort of reference to its source note, ideally with a link back to it in the Topic Y note.

I also picture a scenario where these pieces of text are marked as relevant to Topic X with some sort of tag (can hashtags be used like this?) and called up dynamically in a new note, or something along those lines.

I’m sure there are multiple ways to do this, but I don’t know where to start.

What’s your workflow for this kind of thing?

Most of the functionality you are looking for is included in the Obsidian42-Text Transporter plugin. With it you can send text anywhere in your vault and leave behind a reference, and alias or move text entirely. You can absolutely use #tags for marking relevant contento to a topic. You can even use namespaces to make things more robust (e.g. #TopicY/subTopicY)

1 Like

YES! Thank you so much, that is exactly what I’m looking for. Looking into it now.

On second thought, it looks like that plugin leaves trailing text behind every block, which makes it look extremely messy and makes it a very tedious process every time I want to manually copy paste some of that text somewhere else.

I’d really like to keep everything clean and intact.

There must be a way to quickly add ![[]] links to a Topic Y note that links to the selected Topic X blocks without modifying them. We are only referencing, after all…