"Copy as" Options

This was briefly covered here in #bug-reports, but I wanted to add it as a feature request.

I often want to take my obsidian writing and paste it into other applications.

A fantastic feature for me would be able to copy text as formatted, html, or markdown. This enables me to take my writing and quickly bring it into other formats.

My current workaround is to open in iA Writer where I can select text and get this menu.

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 8.15.35 AM

Does anyone have an Alfred or Keyboard Maestro script or workflow to do this? Even better would be to have the option of stripping out the [[]] brackets.

9 Likes

I’d also like this. I’ve looked a bit into writing a script that copies markdown as html but that’s irrelevant while Obsidian doesn’t support services (macOS).

Ideally this would be available from Edit mode. A half-step would be to enable copying from Preview mode without any of the themes.

I have plans to edit a theme so that the preview mode has no styling other than what comes from the markdown text. We’ll see if that works ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Another year on, I’d like to resuscitate this feature request, and tack on a list of other posts about the same desire.

When I want to take text from Obsidian to a HTML/rich-text editor (say, writing an email or in a Google Docs), my current workflow is to open the markdown file in Typora, and use Typora’s Copy without Theme Styling feature. It would be nice to not have to open another app.

Another workaround is to use a command line approach like this, where you copy the markdown, and then run the clipboard through pandoc when you paste it. (Making this a service on macOS would be convenient, but Obsidian, and really Electron, doesn’t allow the use of Services. The conversion, then, would either need to take place when you paste it, given the app you’re pasting into has services enabled, or you would have to open Terminal between copying and pasting.)

3 Likes