Constant Javascript Errors v1.5 / net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED

Steps to reproduce

Open program, either click “check for updates” or simply wait for a couple minutes. It happens frequently/randomly enough that I’m resorting to closing obsidian when I’m not actively using it.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes, I tried in my normal vault (on the latest version + recently updated launcher [within last week or two]) as well as sandbox vault.

Expected result

No error message…

Actual result

Popup error messages…

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.3
Installer version: v1.5.3
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none


Additional information

image

I assume this is some sort of network related issue, but the error message isn’t giving me much to go off of.

What I’m trying to do

Startup Obsidian / Check for Updates in Settings > About

Version

Current version v1.5.1 / Installer version v1.4.16

What Happens

On startup and whenever I check for an update, I receive an error message:

A Javascript error occurred in the main process.

Uncaught Exception:

Error: net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED
at SimpleURLLoaderWrapper. (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:2:49935)
at SimpleURLLoaderWrapper.emit (node:events:513:28)

1 Like

Still happens with Version 1.5.3 and Insaller 1.5.3.

For the time being, try quitting Obsidian, downloading the installer from the official website and installing over the present install.


Note also:

What’s your debug info?

Are you also running an old version of Windows?

I’m on the 1.5.3 version (running on Windows 11 23H2) and have the exact same error, which happens at startup and then randomly afterwards.

same here. reinstalled with 1.5.3 installer, current windows 11

Hey, I’m new here but have been an Obsidian user for over a year now and absolutely loving it!

For what it’s worth, I’m also getting this identical error - literally character for character identical error message.

I’ve since turned Auto-Update off because this immediately started following the most recent update so can only assume it’s a bug.

I just tried this now and it does seem to have completely resolved the issue! Thanks.

1 Like

When I installed from the official website over the current install it didn’t work. I had to delete the current install and delete the folder in Roaming for it to really work.
Thanks @gino_m!
For reference I was already on 1.5.3 on a Windows 11.

2 Likes

When I installed from the official website over the current install it didn’t work. I had to delete the current install and delete the folder in Roaming for it to really work.

I did it and It worked!

I’ve been plagued by the same issue for the last month.

What’s weird is it only affected my laptop (win 11) and not my desktop (win 10).

Based on the recommendations here and my own testing, I think it’s a stale cache within the Roaming folder that was the culprit.

Here’s what I did to fix it for me:

  • Win + R to open the run box
  • Type in %appdata% and press enter (this takes you to the ‘Roaming’ folder)
  • Go into the Obsidian folder and either delete the Cache folder or rename it to OLD_Cache.
  • Start Obsidian and see if the cache is recreated and error message goes away.
  • If fixed, you can delete the OLD_Cache folder.

For me that solved it. And this was really annoying.

So, I don’t think you have to delete the entire roaming folder and reinstall Obsidian. Best to everyone else.

9 Likes

This worked, thanks!

I just started to receive the same error on start up of 1.5.3. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Removed the cache folder prior to reinstall.

installer v1.5.3
Obsidian v1.5.3
Windows 10.0.19045

Turns out my issue was related to a Symantec Endpoint Protection update . Uninstall reinstall of SEP resolved the issue.

Thank you That worked

I also encountered this problem, v1.5.10
when I manual check update or auto update obsidian, the Error [A JavaScript error Occured in the main process] appeared,

This worked, thanks!

my envs:

  • Obsidian v1.5.12
  • Windows 11 Pro 23H2

This issue just started happening to me after the upgrade to 1.6.3. @ateares 's solution fixed it. Many thanks!