Configure Samsung Galaxy with S-Pen to launch Excalidraw in Obsidian when triggered

What I’m trying to do

My phone comes with Samsung Notes, a visual note taking/sketching tool. I want to use Excalidraw and store everything in Obsidian instead.

I can get Obsidian to launch, but not to create from a template that contains Excalidraw.
Excalidraw is installed on my Samsung Galaxy S22.

While I can manually make a page, and use command palette to insert the drawing, and then select the tool, this is too many steps. To be a worthy substitute, Obsidian must launch ready to draw on a new page (preferably one that is date and timestamped).

I have been using Obsidian for a couple of weeks.

Things I have tried

• Added Obsidian to the trigger when I eject the pen
  • Installed Excalidraw
  • Made a template containing Excalidraw

I don’t know how to trigger the template (or indeed, the command palette) as part of the opening action. As mentioned, that means it’s too cumbersome to start.

Thanks for any help,
Martin

Other searches

Use Advanced URI and Shortcut Maker

1 Like

Thanks. That helps from a launching standpoint.

I don’t know how to get a new note+canvas - I’m thinking I need a note & canvas with a generated name. That can be incremental (Note1+Canvas1) or time-based (NoteYYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM and CanvasYYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM)).

I’m supposing that I’d want to create a new one if I come in after say 10 mins but revisit the old one if more frequent.

I note that @Vinadon has support for daily, obsidian-advanced-uri/src/daily_note_utils.ts at master · Vinzent03/obsidian-advanced-uri (github.com) but no math functions around datetime.

Am I missing something?

I think you are correct about the limitation in Advanced URI that it doesn’t implement date-based naming (other than daily note). In general automatic note creation can be very complex process because you can want many things to happen like creating note to right and then enabling source mode or creating note and then opening some other existing note simultaneously. There is currently one plugin that offers creating macros in easy GUI: QuickAdd. You want to create regular Template choice with automatic naming and then running Excalidraw: Create new drawing - In the current active window - and embed into active document. Then use navigate back/forward to switch between your note and drawing. Use Open Plugin settings to quickly manage your QuickAdd choices. QuickAdd is a general purpose plugin so you will find helpful videos about it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.