Colour group settings apply to both global and local graphs

Absolutely LOVE the colour groups: fantastic solution and a really flexible way of handling it. I also love that the colour groups are saved within a vault across opening/closing the graph view, and changing the workspace as well :+1:

Just one small request: can the colour groups also be used/applied to the local graph please? Iā€™ve already got very used to the colour coding Iā€™ve set up globally in my main vault, and applying the same coding the the local graph works, but it just seems redundant to have to do it twiceā€¦

31 Likes

This new feature is simply amazing. I do see the value in being able to set-up a different color if needed in the local graph.

However I do agree that this should be the default behaviour, and overwriting it with a different color could be an additional option.

Thanks for the awesome new feature, the graph looks amazing!

5 Likes

Surely youā€™d want ā€œgreen = evergreen notesā€ (for example) in both places? I wouldnā€™t want to then use green in the local graph for something else - Iā€™d find it really confusing that green means different things in each graph view.

Can you give me an example where youā€™d want to do it? Iā€™m really curious :slight_smile:

Can you share a screenshot

1 Like

This is my ā€œworkingā€ vault - I started with vault using a pure ZK approach, but found it didnā€™t work well for me. Hence I created a new vault and Iā€™m in the process of migrating the ZK notes (and a bunch of pre-Obsidian notes as well), and also have daily and project management/todo notes in there.

You can see the colour coding setup on the left (SB are large reference notes on specific topics) - easy setup for me because I have types of notes sorted into folders. I have the same setup on the local graph and I find it excellent for seeing whatā€™s linked to what really easily.

Wow! Itā€™s just as I wanted!! Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

I have a suggestion too. Pick a more informative title for this Feature Request :slight_smile:

Oh! My feature request? I think it is quite to the point! Can you suggest something.

1 Like

I think s/he means me @Daniyal-Ahmed :smiley: Yes youā€™re right WhiteNoise, updated it to be a bit more to the point.

1 Like

Maybe a button ā€œCopy settings from global graphā€ in the local graph settings would be a good solution. That would allow to keep them in sync easily, but also to change them, if necessary.

9 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m a beginner so sorry if I am asking a dumb question here.

How did you enable ā€˜Color groupsā€™? I am not seeing it in my filter pane.

Thanks a lot

Itā€™s a feature from the next update.

https://forum.obsidian.md/t/obsidian-release-v0-11-0-insider-build/12701?u=danitrusca

1 Like

Agree with this! Ability to save and load graph settings (presets?) will be neat also.

Besides to this ā€œenhancementā€ of the group color in local graph, I see a more fundamental issue: the group filter and the corresponding color scheme can not applied to the center node in the local graph.

1 Like

As far as having color groups shared between global and local graphs, I managed a workaround by editing the config directly with a few commands: Copy Obsidian global graph colors to local graphs (github.com)

edit: updated the guide to include how to sync all graph settings!

5 Likes

bump & +1! I copy graph colors to local graphs with a little python script, but itā€™s brittle, and doesnā€™t apply colors to new local graphs. Wanted to share this if itā€™s helpful, and +1 that this as default behavior would be a great feature improvement.

1 Like

I hope this is added soon its easy to delete a local and have to spend 5 mins fixing it

Hi everyone,
Not long ago my plugin for this specific purpose was accepted into Obsidian Community Plugins. I hope it does exactly what you expect of it - thereā€™s just one command for copying your global Color Groups configuration into your current local graph.
The plugin is called ā€œSync Graph Settingsā€, hereā€™s the link:

If you have any requests of how to improve this plugin, feel free to add a new issue on github: Issues Ā· Xallt/sync-graph-settings Ā· GitHub

4 Likes

Yes @Xallt it does the trick, perfect, thank you!