Choose a folder whenever a new note is created from a link

Hi, I’m new to Obsidian and I’m loving it so far.

Use case or problem

I’m wondering if there’s any plugin (or snippet) that allows you to choose the folder of a new note by Ctrl+clicking on a (yet) non-existing note, instead of creating the note AND having to move it to the right folder. I’m already familiar with the “Advanced New File” plugin, but as far as I know it only works with new notes created by its own command in the command palette, not with inline new notes.

I think it could be a nice feature for someone’s workflow if you organize your notes in folders, specially if there are a lot of them to choose from.

13 Likes

Or let us designate an inbox folder for new notes. It’s kinda annoying that new notes are at the bottom of file explorer pane. Because obsidian sorts the folders at the top.

edit: answered below, there’s a setting for it

Have you played with the “Default location for new notes” setting in Preferences → Files and Links? I think that does what you’re asking for.

3 Likes

Yes. But by changing the default location in that way, I can only specify one particular folder. Instead, I want to be able to choose the folder each time I create a new note via linking.

3 Likes

Gotcha. Updated the thread title to clarify.

Thanks!

@luisecardonag AFAIK, I could not rewrite default actions in editor, so that’s why there are no so such capability in “Advanced New File”.

I’d prefer this as well, to be able to be asked every time where to store the note. The fastest alternative is to have a hotkey for “move file”, but given that hotkey availability is rather limited for me (mostly because I need a lot, but must fit it onto a small laptop keyboard as well).

2 Likes

Commenting to follow this thread and keep it active in case someone has the answer to this

I would find this option tedious, because I almost always want the new note in the same folder. I use the Quick Explorer plugin, so when that’s not what I want I just create it there anyway, right-click on the filename in the path shown in the title bar, and choose Move file to.

There’s also the option to Show in system explorer when I have a lot of moving or renaming to do.

We lack “Select folder on note creation” in: Settings > Files & Links > “Default location for new notes”. It is so obvious it should be there! If you have more thematic folders in your Vault you frequently want some notes to be placed in varying locations. There is no such plugin. You have to right click every time to move newly created file and it’s so ANNOYING and DISTRACTING! It should be easy to implement too: add one option in combo + folder selection dialog.

3 Likes

I agree. I have a Meetings folder where i might link to a ‘person’ but when i click on the link it creates the note for the person in the Meetings folder instead of the People folder.
Consequently, the wrong template is applied and i have to redo all that each time i create a person note this way.

An option to pick the folder the note should be created in, would go a long way

I’ve not read the entire thread, but this can be handled with Templater and a default folder template and a choice of which folder to store in, possibly with defaulting to the same folder you’re already in.

The template could then proceed to trigger other templates if need be.

Wouldnt that end up prompting me for a folder each time I create a new note?

When the template is running the file has already been created, and you would need to move the file to the correct folder, but no it wouldn’t create a loop.