Canvas - Create Node from Note Header or Block

Use case or problem

I use Obsidian for my D&D notes. We are currently tracking a murder mystery, and a canvas is the perfect tool to track that quest (and future quests, for that matter).

Insert Pepe Silvia Meme Here

As I am unable to publish my canvas and my friends don’t use Obsidian themselves, I also maintain a regular note for that quest. I would like to maintain a canvas of that quest to visually indicate the clues we’ve found and go through what happened in a day-by-day sort of way.

However, I can only create a node from the full noteCampaign/Quests/Murder Mystery’.

Proposed solution

I would like to be able to create nodes from note headings and note blocks, in the same way as one can link to those with internal links. For example, I’d like to create a node from ‘Campaign/Quests/Murder Mystery#Day One’ or ‘Campaign/Quests/Murder Mystery#^murder-weapon-found

Current workaround (optional)

I am currently forced to copy and paste chapters of the murder mystery note into regular text nodes and update them myself when something changes in the source note. This is tedious, error prone and counter to the principle of interconnectedness that makes Obsidian such a great tool.

Related feature requests (optional)

I think this feature request points towards a similar problem, but it seems that they want to have a note be automatically split into its component blocks, whereas I just want to be able to create a note node from a heading or block.

4 Likes

Yessss, I would like this very much for pretty much the exact same reason.

@gavinhohenheim @testare

I needed the same functionality, ended up finding it’s already there.

1. Add a note from the vault
  2. Right-click the card
  3. The 4th and 5th option should be “Narrow to heading” and “Narrow to block”.
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.