Canvas: add different card shapes

Thank you dev team for Canvas! Obsidian has become such an impressive app and you are doing incredible work. I’m already loving Canvas for story boarding and creating rudimentary fantasy maps.

Use case or problem

I think it would be great if cards had greater variety. Currently, only square/rectangular shapes are possible and it would be cool to have, for example, triangles for events on a storyboard, circles for characters, and squares for settings.

Proposed solution

It would be great to have the option of inserting different shapes, like circles, triangles, etc. There could be a transform button on the pop-up that appears when you click a card to change its colour, delete, etc.

Current workaround (optional)

The Excalidraw plugin
20 Likes

This would also be useful to use Canvas todevelp process flowcharts and algorithm maps both to aid in development and for documentation of how the thing as programmed actually works.

1 Like

Use case or problem

Would like to create RPG hexmaps where each hex is a note.

Proposed solution

Allow a hex-shaped card (and many more shapes). Alignment tools seem to suffice for putting them together.

Current workaround (optional)

Inkscape for maps and just reference by number in Obsidian.

2 Likes

I would also like to see that, for similar but also other reasons, like project planning, process mapping etc.

2 Likes

Please make sure you search before making a new FR. Merged here.

1 Like

As a workaround, you can substitute offset squares for hexagons, e.g.

I am confused how the offset squares work? How do I set offset?

I would like also to have other shapes to group different concepts on a canvas.

Hi @crystalatom ,

There’s nothing special about the shapes – they’re just regular square notes. What I meant by “offset” is that every other column of notes is pushed down a half, so that they function like hexagons.

I agree, having some other note shapes would be nice.

Craig

1 Like

Wanted to raise a new topic, but found that one. I definitely vote for hexagonal shapes cuz they’re sometimes very useful for creating mind maps on Canvas.
Didn’t think hexagonal shapes could be useful at all until started using Canvas more often. It seems like they’re more… versatile?
P.S.: Maybe I just spent too much time in Civilization V when they changed the map grid from squares to hexagons, but either way, I vote for this shape! :slight_smile:

2 Likes