Can't Delete Folders

What I’m trying to do

Delete an “Untitled” folder…

Things I have tried

• Right-clicking; Deleting; Confirming Delete; The folder goes away; The folder reappears…
  • Moving the folder; Right-clicking; Deleting; Confirming Delete; The folder goes away; The folders reappear… Now there are TWO…
  • Renaming the folder; Right-clicking; Deleting; Confirming Delete; The folder goes away; The folders reappear… Now there are THREE…
  • Closing Obsidian; Opening File Explorer; Deleting folder; Reopening Obisidian; The folder is gone; The three folders reappear…
  • Adding a note to the otherwise empty folder; Right-clicking folder; Deleting; Confirming Delete; The folder goes away; The folder reappears (without the note inside)…
  • Searching this topic; Find closed forums with no help; The folder are still here…

This isn’t the biggest deal in the world as all other functionality appears to be working, but there is a nagging part of me that HATES seeing “Untitled” over there doing nothing but annoy me LOL

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Please DON’T close this topic until someone actually provides an answer that people can reference in the future; it seems crazy that I have found people have had this issue before but can’t seem to find anywhere that the answer is also included… Do those people STILL have zombie folders from 2021???

Where, on your computer, do you keep the vault that you are seeing the issue with?

Sometimes this can happen if the vault is in a sync service folder (One Drive, GDrive, etc.) and the service is replacing the folders after you delete them for some reason. If you are running Obsidian Sync with the vault in another service’s folder, the two sync services could be conflicting.

So, I think the first thing to check is the path of the vault. Make sure it’s not in a sync service location, and you can go from there.

1 Like

Another thing to check is if the folder contains files that aren’t visible in Obsidian (either because they’re hidden files or because they’re a type Obsidian can’t open and you haven’t turned on the setting that shows those).

I have just started using Obsidian and am having the same problem. It seems to me that there should be an easy way to delete a folder that was created by mistake. But apparently there isn’t. If there is a way, it certainly is not intuitive. This is a flaw that should be corrected.

What OS? Where is your vault stored? Are you using syncing tools?

If you’d like help, please answer the questions, and double-check the things that ariehen and CawlinTeffid talked about. Otherwise, there is no new information to move forward yet.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.