Callout Title Icon Centering

Steps to reproduce

• OPTIONAL: Set the font size to 10 (not required but shows the effect better)
  • OPTIONAL: Zoom to 173% (the maximum)
  • Add a callout
  • Observe the title elements

The specific callout markup that shows this best is:

> [!NOTE]- Title
> Contents

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes

Expected result

The callout icons should be aligned to the center of the text.

As an example of this being fixed in the sandbox vault:

the sandbox vault with centered text and icons

With different text sizes as shown in a different vault, this effect shows a lot better:

Actual result

The callout icons are top aligned (specifically, flex-start) with a top margin of 0.15em

As seen in the sandbox vault:

the sandbox vault with top aligned text and icons

Here’s what the different font sizes example actually looks like:

Environment

(Info from the sandbox vault examples)

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.3.5
Installer version: v1.3.5
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: light
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 0
Plugins enabled: 0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

It seems this issue was found back in February but the user tried to align the title text instead of the other elements.

I investigated this myself and found that it is caused by the app.css on lines 7283:

the app.css with callout-icon and callout-fold highlighted

The current implementation aligns it to the start and then adds a margin to the top of 0.15em. This doesn’t align the text correctly for different font sizes or font families.

A possible fix could be to remove the align-self and margin-top declarations and then change .callout-title to have align-items: center;. This is the solution that I essentially did in the Expected result section above.

Here’s what it would look like:

And the result as seen in the sandbox vault:

Additionally, I checked through some of the larger themes in my own vault and this causes no conflicts:

For any current users who want to try this, it’s possible to recreate this fix with a snippet. I used this one to make the Expected result above.

.callout-title {
  align-items: center;
}
.callout-fold,
.callout-icon {
  margin-top: unset;
  align-self: unset;
}

And the result:

a custom vault with the snippet enabled

7 Likes

This will be fixed in the next version. Note that solution is a bit different from what you proposed because your approach doesn’t account for long callout titles that span multiple lines. In this case we still want the icons to be aligned with the first line of text. So instead we will use content: '\200b' to create the correct line height.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.