Please add [Bug] or [Feature] to your post title, then delete this line.
[ ] Android
Obsidian Mobile version:
to reproduce the bug,
- create a note
- copy the following text as one paragraph and paste it in the note 20 times.
I want everything to speed up so I can get to the good bits. I want to squeeze all I can out of every moment. I want only the cliff notes version of my day. I want to go back and relive some moments. I want to never regret anything. I want a life rich with meaning. I want a life filled with only the barest of iconic symbols. I want bacchanalia. I want asceticism. I want to do it all myself. I want someone else to do it for me. I want to never be tied down with love.
- now the word number in the note should exceed 2000 words. in the first line, begin to type Chines continuously. You can use the build-in Chinese Pinyin input method.
- what I observed is, sooner or later, the IME’s candidates words bar will suddenly fly to the top left corner of the screen, and the input is interrupted and will never recover automatically.
- this bug can be reproduced on iOS and iPadOS with or without 3rd party input method.
- I also tried the codemirror6 website and I cannot reproduce the issue there.
Please let me know if anyone can reproduce this bug.
this bug has successfully made my iPad useless, as i will always have to take the MacBook with me all the time, for the sake of using obsidian.
Are you using iOS or Android?
[ ] Android
Is this a bug report or a feature request?
[x] Bug report
[ ] Feature request
Steps to reproduce
- Search for any keyword, and navigate to a note from the search pane(ideally not opened before in the current session)
- Start typing in Chinese Pinyin keyboard for a few words, e.g. 复现结果
- Select the intended multi-word suggestions from the predictive text bar
- The input is lost even if you keep typing, and only the first few typed English characters is preserved, e.g fu xian
can you post a screen recording of this happening in vault without thirdparty plugins and themes?
Also what is your obsidian mobile version?
I have attached the recording. This also seem to happen in Mac version, but the symptoms are different, and it seems to have to do with Live Preview. I have also attached the recording for Mac. All are running the latest version, without third party plugins and themes
Steps to reproduce
When I continuously type my words, it will occasionally happen that the latin symbols are typed instead of Chinese characters, and then it will be stuck and I’m not able to do anything until I tap on the text and delete all the latin symbols accidentally entered. I have a screenshot gif below.
- Operating system: iOS 15.3.1
Hey, looks like an upstream bug. I just submitted it here: iOS IME loses focus if longer then editable block · Issue #797 · codemirror/codemirror.next · GitHub
The workaround is to use some 3rd party IME like Sogou or Baidu.
It was reproduced on the default iOS’s Japanese IME too a few days ago.
(When I use third-party IME (ATOK), It doesn’t happen.)
But I re-tested it for capturing the movie, it was works correctly.
Reproduced in Japanese IME.
- iOS v15.4 on iPhone SE 3rd gen.
- Obsidian 1.1.1(48)
Chinese input on iOS is not functioning well. Here are videos of this happening on iphone and ipad:
chinese input problem on iPad pro (iOS 15.4.1) with obisidian 1.2.0 (50), API v0.14.2 - YouTube (not sure why i couldn’t upload it larger than 360p but the error starts around 0:22, it’s identical to the iPhone)
Steps to reproduce
In a new note, type in chinese (both simplified and traditional exhibiting this problem)
Normal chinese input (see video)
When typing reaches a line change within the first 1-5 lines (usually 3 in my testing on ipad, and every 1 or 2 lines at most on the phone), chinese input gets stuck and you cannot pick any option from the input interface, you can only exit and you will get the roman characters you typed left there. As seen in video, on the iPad the interface also jumps to the left top corner randomly.
ipad pro ios 15.4.1, obsidian 1.2.0 (50) API v0.14.2
Same on iphone
Could not find
1 other person has posted in the chinese forum about the same problem and 1 other person replied having the same problem. See thread: Obsidian换行时不能正常键入内容 - #2，来自 Qoethics - 疑问解答 - Obsidian 中文论坛
[ ] Android
Obsidian Mobile version: v1.2.0
Hello. I can’t speak English, so I’m using a translation app. I have a problem when using the Obsidian app. That is, it stops in the middle of Japanese input. When a line break occurs, it will not be converted and the operation will not work. This is fatal, so it would be helpful if you could handle it. It’s happening on both iPhone and iPad. Thanking you in advance.
In IOS application scenario, when Chinese input is used, the text cannot be input normally, and continuous text input cannot be realized.
Please use the template when submitting bug reports. In particular, the template asks you to make sure your bug is not already reported. There are several other Chinese input bugs already reported. Have you checked to see if those are the same?
This is the bug of my video recording
Can you help try the following things:
while using the 3rd-party IME, try the bug reproducing procedure in the 1st post and see if that problem happens.
Tried and works for me. Another workaround is to use some other apps with the functionality to open Markdown files to edit on mobile devices, such as MWeb.
Another workaround here:
A short demo:
- Install Taio (an app for editing markdown files) from App Store and add the local Obsidian path in it.
- Install URI Commands from community plug-in and add a command with
- (Optional) You can add it to the page header bar or assign some hotkeys for it.
Now you can type in Taio (treat Taio as source mode) and preview in Obsidian.
En, thanks. I will try Sougo Pinyin again, on ipad.
I missed your information… I also made the workaround plugin a few days ago.
Please try if you are interesting.