Bookmarks have vanished from bookmark list

Please help - I am not very good with all this techy language - I don’t know what a sandbox vault is. Everything was fine with Obsidian, and I have made no changes to it/added extensions etc, but yesterday I open it and all my bookmarked notes are gone from the bookmarked list. The notes still have a bookmark on them, but they no longer appear in the bookmarked list. Please see screen shot below. Thank you.

Maybe it’s a random glitch — if you haven’t already, quit Obsidian and reopen it.

Otherwise maybe it’s the result of a sync conflict. Is your vault stored in OneDrive or iCloud or Dropbox or anything like that?

If that’s not it, I’m not sure what the cause would be, but the bookmarks are stored in a file so you may be able to restore an older version from your backups. (If you don’t keep backups, start now.) Inside your vault folder is a hidden folder called .obsidian where the settings are kept; the bookmarks file is bookmarks.json.

The sandbox vault is a special vault you can open for testing. It’s in the Help menu in the lower left of the app. It probably won’t help here, tho.

Also, can you please type Cmd-P to bring up the command palette. And then “Show Debug Info”.

If you run that command and paste the results here, maybe we can spot a clue.

I am having the same issue with bookmarks as of a couple days ago. They are no longer visible on the windows desktop or iphone. Obsidian in both platforms is the latest version.

I am using Obsidian sync between the desktop and iphone.

I have rebooted windows as well as iphone.

Have turned off the bookmarks plugin and then back on again.

Still can’t see bookmarks.

However, in the bookmarks.json file I can see them all.

Here is the debug information:

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.4.16
Installer version: v1.4.13
Operating system: Windows 10 Home 10.0.22621
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 28
Plugins enabled: 21
1: Calendar v1.5.10
2: Hotkeys++ v0.2.7
3: Find orphaned files and broken links v1.9.1
4: Note Refactor v1.8.2
5: Pane Relief v0.5.1
6: Prominent Bookmarked Files v2.0.2
7: Multi-line Formatting v0.4.1
8: Text Format v2.2.7
9: Reminder v1.1.15
10: Ninja Cursor v0.0.13
11: Commander v0.5.0
12: Minimal Theme Settings v7.2.2
13: Maximise Active Pane v0.0.3
14: Quick Switcher++ v3.3.7
15: Paste URL into selection v1.7.0
16: Obsidian42 - Jump-to-Date v1.0.14
17: Recent Files v1.3.8
18: Tag Wrangler v0.5.13
19: Note Auto Creator v1.4.0
20: Linter v1.20.0
21: Update modified date v1.3.2

Hope this helps track issue down.

Not really sure what happened… but I managed to ‘drag’ the bookmarks down from the top of the bookmark column… not really sure how/what I did, very trippy… But they do not show on my synced android app version on my phone at all.

Debug info:

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.4.16
Installer version: v1.4.13
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.6.0: Fri Sep 15 16:17:23 PDT 2023; root:xnu-8020.240.18.703.5~1/RELEASE_X86_64 21.6.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: Obsidian Nord v0.1.7
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 4
Plugins enabled: 4
1: Footnote Shortcut v0.0.9
2: Advanced Tables v0.17.3
3: Periodic Notes v0.0.17
4: Calendar v1.5.10

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Enable restricted mode, use default theme, restart obsidian. Did it help?

Enabling restricted mode and restarting didn’t help. I was already using the Default Theme. This was on the Windows 11 desktop.

I noticed that when I opened Obsidian up again, and clicked on Bookmarks, the full list of bookmarked notes flashed very briefly then disappeared. As mentioned earlier, I was able to open up the bookmarks.json file and see everything there. Tried this a few times and it happened each time.

I hope this helps.

Can you do ctrl-shift-i and see if there are errors in console?

Can you dm me a copy of your bookmarks.json

just sent a dm

The bookmarks tab also flashed briefly showing my bookmarks (on desktop version) but then I was somehow able to drag them down by pulling from the top of the bookmark bar. Bu they still do not appear on my phone app - my themes are not synced across devices. Did you manage to solve anything further? Thanks for your help!

DM a file with a copy of your bookmarks file.

thanks!

Same problem here, using obsidian sync as well, most of my bookmarks just disappear from my main device and then come back, same problem on synced devices.

Are you all using Obsidian Sync?

Yes sync!

If you disable sync, does it work?

You can pause sync, but no this does not help

I am also using Obsidian sync and pausing on both on desktop and iphone, and restarting didn’t help.

ok just a random attempt. We are not quite sure why this happens. Right now we believe it is a UI glitch that happens only under some specific circumstances.

• Does downloading and reinstalling obsidian help?
  • Does running obsidian in restricted mode/default theme/restart obsidian help?
  • What is your screen resolution and OS zoom level?
  • Does zooming in and out withobsidian help (ctrl/cmd +/-/0)?

None of those suggestions have helped. They disappeared again for me, but I somehow ‘dragged them down’ - but now they are doing this strange thing - please see pic below