Bible Study in Obsidian Kit (including the Bible in Markdown)

Hey @Joschua, here’s a youtube video of your presentation from our workshop. https://youtu.be/vxc6YbmpMNQ

(Do you prefer having a link to it here or somewhere else? Just let me know!)

10 Likes

:clap: this is magnificent… thank you!

2 Likes

Nice work. Interestingly, I tried both Joschua’s and Joe’s versions and the result is a nicely structured set of Markdown files with no actual content (see here: https://dsh.re/04836). Anyone else seeing similar results?

3 Likes

@chrisbowler The biblical text pulled into the markdown files fine for me. Did you install the required ‘gems’ in the instructions here?

Another thing to consider is it seems like it’s using the system clipboard for something. Each chapter was passed through my clipboard:

Not sure if that could have anything to do with it.

P.S. I’m a big fan of your writing Chris!

@joebuhlig Amazing work on this!

I’m getting an error when trying to run the versesplit.sh script.
line 8: ![[${folder$bookchapter}]]: bad substitution

If I was smarter I’d probably know what that means. Any ideas?

Flattered, David. Thanks for saying so!

I did install the gems, although not before trying Joschua’s script the first time. But it hasn’t made a difference. I’ll keep plugging away!

Ah, this was my fault (didn’t read the entire RTFM). I didn’t have the original script from jgclark in the folder. Works like a charm!

1 Like

Did you alter the script at the top to match the folder (version) that was pulled? That’s my initial guess.

@joebuhlig I actually left the script unmodified and just renamed the pulled NIV folder to ‘ESV’. I’ll keep experimenting! Thanks brother.

1 Like

Can you PM me a zip file of the pulled version? I can run it on mine and see if it’s an issue. Curious if my shell has something installed that’s a dependency and I’m not aware of what it is.

@joebuhlig Yes! PMing now. Thanks so much.

Got it! I just realized when looking at yours that I had altered the find/replace steps from the original. The second find/replace is this:

find: ######\s([0-9]\s|[0-9][0-9]\s|[0-9][0-9][0-9]\s)
replace: \n\n###### v$1\n

That would give you this format:

###### v1 
Adam, Seth, Enosh, 

I had altered that to be this:

find: ######\s([0-9]\s|[0-9][0-9]\s|[0-9][0-9][0-9]\s) This is the same.
replace: \n\nv$1 This forces each line to start with the verse number and go immediately into the text.

So it should look like this:

v1 Adam, Seth, Enosh, 

If it looks like the latter, then you can run the versesplit.sh script.

2 Likes

Non-coder here, so newly question.

I think I have the scripts running, but when I run bash bg2obs.sh, the script runs and returns an error - “ruby: No such file or directory – BibleGateway-to-Markdown/bg2md.rb (LoadError)”

I am running the script from the folder /Downloads/BibleGateway-to-Obsidian-master/

The script is creating the correct folder “NKJV” and subfolders with each book of the Bible as a subfolder. It is creating all the files, but the files are blank.

If I run ruby bg2md.rb by itself, it pulls the correct bible text.

Thanks in advance for any help.

@celler This may have nothing to do with your issue but worth mentioning in case:
The script references a folder called ESV. So you can open the script in a text editor and change ESV to NKJV. Or a possibly easier way is to just rename your NKJV folder to ESV then run the script then you can change the folder name back to NKJV.

You may have already tried that, but worth a shot. :pray:

That looks like the submodule didn’t pull on clone. Try running this from the same directory you ran that command:

git submodule update --init --recursive

The repo when cloned with git does not download with git submodules included. I have added the instruction on the documentation and created a PR. (novice here with a PR process :))

Just for anyone cloning the repo you can clone it with the below command which gets the submodules as well. Thanks @joebuhlig for puting this repo togather.
git clone --recurse-submodules https://github.com/joebuhlig/BibleGateway-to-Obsidian.git

1 Like

I’m not seeing the PR. Can you link to it?

sorry about that, I don’t know if I missed out something. I sent the pull request again

Got it! And merged. Well done. :clap:

1 Like

Thanks so much for your hard work, devotion and passion for this project @Joschua . This is quite a blessing. I have many saved note passages with personal insights. Now I have to start making the connections.