Bible Study in Obsidian Kit (including the Bible in Markdown)

You should be able to use a text editor like Atom or Notepad++ to do a Find and Replace in all the files in your directory. Just find that text and replace it with nothing.

1 Like

Great - thanks @RogerP will give this a go.

Exciting update!

Thanks to my generous patreons the Bible Study kit is now available on Obsidian Publish.

Now you can play with the kit without downloading it to your hard drive! V2 includes some tweaks and fixes and is integrated more closely with how I use Obsidian for note taking and digital gardening.

Thanks for your support! :hugs:

3 Likes

Hey there, seems like you are pretty good at scripting? I have a large OneNote file I would like to get my notes into obsidian… I also am trying to figure out how to auto-link the references that I already have. Thirdly, I would like it to be able to type in a range (i.e. [[Genesis 1:1-2]]. Would you be able to help with any of these?

I have figured out how to do a massive “search and replace” and use regex in Atom to put brackets around all of the entries… Does anybody have a scripting idea for a range of references? I know I can have Excel add a numerical range but that’s a long way around…

I wish I had a solution for ranges like that. What I’ve done is just make smaller ranges into multiple links. For example, Genesis 1:1–2 would be:

[[Gen-01#v1|Genesis 1:1]]–[[Gen-01#v2|2]]

What this does is allow me to hover over an individual verse number and see it in the popover preview. For a range of three verses, I also link the dash. Genesis 1:1–3 becomes:

[[Gen-01#v1|Genesis 1:1]][[Gen-01#v2|–]][[Gen-01#v3|3]]

In this example, hovering over “Genesis 1:1” shows verse 1, hovering over “–” shows verse 2, and hovering over “3” shows verse 3. If the range is longer than three verses, I just link to the first verse in the range and follow the link when I want to read the entire range. This is not perfect, but it is what works for now.

There is a feature request for Support for Linking To/Embedding Ranges which, if implemented, would solve this problem.

1 Like

Your approach is a really good workaround for now. I am hoping to work on a plugin of sorts than can apply that formatting automatically. It’s quite the hassle to type otherwise.

2 Likes

Thank you @Joschua ! :+1: I downloaded the script from your Github repo, it works fine, except I don’t have the Bible.md file. I can’t find it in the repo and the script did not create this file.

You can use the provided The Bible.md file as an overview file.

I guess I can create a file and make links to the books manually, but If there’s a ready-to-use overview file I’d like to check it out.

Never mind, I made an overview file.

Yes, that’s exactly what I was thinking… typing it out is quite an issue. I guess I will use this for now and wait for the functionality to come out later.

I tried for several hours today to get this to work (Windows 10) and couldn’t get the script to download ANY Bible translation (even default WEB). The script works to create the folder structure and files, but does not seem to ‘paste’ the actual scripture, just the references. I get a constant: “bg2obs.sh: line 148: ruby: command not found” error.

Any tips?

I have installed Perl, Ruby, Bash etc. and everything seems to run properly other than the fact that it seems the script isn’t finding the ‘bg2md.rb’ Ruby script (regardless of whether I paste it into the same root folder or not).

Thanks @Ka_upkah and @bmwhite1611 for letting me know! I actually added a The Bible.md file in the repo now!

Sorry @corsair2014, I am not on Windows and therefore the script isn’t written to be run there. Maybe the community can help out!

Have you tried if the original BibleGateway-to-Markdown script works? That can help to isolate the issue.

Joschua,
Yes the Ruby file runs on its own but the ‘copy’ to clipboard functionality yields a memory allocation error… perhaps this is why the files come out blank with only the verse references.

Thank you @Joschua and @joebuhlig for this. Quick question: I got the markdown files generated but I don’t have the navigation links at the top of each chapter for the previous chapter | book | next chapter. Did I miss a step?

Did you install the clipboard gem? If yes and it still doesn’t work, you can also just delete the references to clipboard (L78 + L460) in the script. Maybe that helps.

@m.wilson55, sorry I’m not sure what went wrong. Did you use @joebuhlig’s version of the script or bg2obs.sh? And which OS are you on?

This is so good thank you! I have been enjoying the Bible in a Year podcast with Father Mike Schmitz and just jotting down some notes on my Daily - this will help me be far more intentional and be able to link the referenced scripture! This is so amazing, thank you. The instructions on GitHub were all very clear and easy to follow as well.

edit to add: The Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE) seems to be installing fine for me so you can add that one to your list of versions it looks okay with (if it wasn’t already there).

Oops, I think this should have been @Joschua - sorry!

2 Likes

I have been pondering verse range links using @Joschua’s Bible Study Kit. By adding a beginning level 5 header for the range and then an ending level 5 header around the level 6 headers in the verse range, I am getting a friendly link that reasonably shows and links to the range. I thought I would share my results.

3 Likes

Hello all! New to this post but found this could be an amazing place where I can customised my very own bible reading tool from here. I tried to followed joebuhlig’s BibleGateway-to-Obsidian way and successfully get the Bible text from BibleGateway, but until the “4. Split each virse to it’s own file” part I think I encountered some problem there.

When I run the bash versesplit.sh to split the chapters in to seprate verse files, I found that all the content within the Bible chapter folder would gone. I’m not sure which parts I did it wrong and would like to see if anyone could point me a fix or direction?

Here’s a screencap before I run the script:

Here’s what happened after the script:

p.s. I tried another round to run the “bash rename-folders.sh” before splitting the verses, and then all the content would combined into a .md file, which has only index inside.

The folder in the download is labelled Version 1. Is there a download to Version 2?

That is an interesting workaround. I wonder, does it break if you have overlapping ranges?

1 Like