I love Obsidian, but I’m at my wits’ end over a series of systematic bugs, possibly related (I’m on macOS 10.15.6 on a 5K iMac).
The larger chaos:
Backlinks are regularly missing; the outline view is empty on some files that definitely have multiple headings, a couple of files that are full of text (visible in edit mode and other Markdown apps) but blank in preview mode, and (SEE BELOW) clicking “Link” on unlinked mentions will often duplicate the Wiki-linking giving me this:
I’m getting this repeatedly over the past few days…
- in 0.8.2 and in the insider view of 0.8.4;
- with and without custom css
- after waiting plenty of time for the vault to refresh
- after multiple restarts of Obsidian
- after rebooting the computer
- after fresh-installing Obsidian
- after running CleanMyMac to remove cruft
- after purging the “cache”
- on my main machine and my laptop
- on multiple accounts on the same machine
- after moving all the files out of folders into one fresh flat vault.
I’m sure I’m to blame for somehow corrupting the vault or the files by reorganizing things in the Finder, or creating folders and subfolders. But I’ve now spent hours and hours trying to troubleshoot on my own and I’d really appreciate some help.
So let me focus on one puzzling bug (in the screen shot):
- There is a page entitled “Normative concerns about autonomy gaps - inequality”.
- I’ve included a Wiki-link to that page on another page entitled “vulnerability”.
- But that link to “vulnerability” is not showing up on the local graph for the “Normative concerns…” page
- It does show up as an “Unlinked mention” in the “vulnerability folder” – where you can see that there are already double-brackets around the title of the “Normative concerns…” page.
- If I clink on “LINK” to add the link, then it adds another set of double-brackets, giving me this:
[[[[Normative concerns about autonomy gaps - inequality]]]]– which also generates a new page with a square bracket only at the beginning,
[Normative concerns about autonomy gaps - inequality
Sometimes I can clean up the double-wiki-linking and get it working, but it seems to keep cropping up later. Any help would be greatly appreciated!