Backlinking to page titles case-insensitive

Can the backlinking be made case-insensitive?

When I currently create a new page based on the block header “My Notes” (with upper case initials), the new page title will also be with upper case initials. When I later link “my notes” on another page in the sentence “Yesterday I checked my notes.”, the backlinking changes the “my notes” mid-sentence into “My Notes”. I would prefer that a link is established, but the case remains unchanged.

18 Likes

This makes sense to me, too. I would like to be able to name my notes like Wikipedia articles, using title case e.g. “Something”, but be able to link to it in the middle of a sentence e.g. “talking about [[something]] cool”.

2 Likes

Seems really important - how are people dealing with this currently?

Propably with the alias [[something|An Uppercase Note]]

2 Likes

So that is the proper way? Ever time I want to link to something I need to [[Something|something]] ?

1 Like

ATM yes

This feature would be extremely useful! I’m dealing with the same issue.

2 Likes

Recently started using Roam and found this same issue. Came here and was pleasantly surprised that there is now a mobile app and I will most likely switch to Obsidian.

My first search was to see if this problem is solved in Obsidian. This would be incredibly useful. I have barely started my notes and this pops up all the time.

2 Likes

I think it is a little misdirecting that this topic is buried in the “Feature archive” as it is actually not implemented? @moderators

This does not only apply to page backlinks, but to all linkings - case sensitivity is a blocker for an organized knowledge graph, and the workaround of using [[link|Link]] every single time is really not intuitive.

1 Like

Has this been addressed?

edit: They are case-insensitive. Ignore what I wrote below. I was wrong.

Why is this in “feature archive”?

My proposed solution is custom link like [[Something|something]] should be auto-applied. Basically when I type [[something]] (all small case letters), Obsidian should auto detect if there is already a document with the same name but different capitalization, for example “Something”. If there is one, [[Something|something]] should be automatically applied.

We are not computer code, case sensitivity should not matter when referencing other documents.

2 Likes

do [[something]] and [[Something]] point to a different note?

edit: No, they don’t point out to different files, unless both exist. I was wrong.
Yes, because they are filenames, right? something.md and Something.md.

Have you tried?

Yes. Why?

Because on windows and mac, filenames are case-insensitive and point to same file.
On linux, obsidian tries to be case insensitive as well.

Are you sure they point to a different note?

edit: No, they don’t. I was wrong.
Yes. They do on linux.

If both file exist, then I think it’s ok to have them point separately.
do both file exist? what if only one file exists?

Never mind, you were correct. They do point to the same files. My bad.

I think the real point of this archived thread is getting this: