i.e., my support for automatically updating links when section/headers change. I completely agree that having to use a command or right-click is totally unnatural, unintuitive, easy to forget, and makes your vault fragile.
I would suggest that the Obsidian team adds a warning notice to the documentation about internal links to headers about this behaviour.
I started using this in various places and just found out that auto-update won’t work. If the team says that it is not possible due to performance reasons I won’t argue against that, but as a user I would rather have known that before changing links all over the place.
As someone said, the current state feels broken. Unsure if I will use these kinds of links at all for now. Sparingly, at most.
Currently, for links to headings to be updated, we need to the right-click menu (or command) to rename the header for the links to update. I can live with that happily for performance reason.
However, if we want to move a referenced block to another note, the only way to update block references in previous notes is to look up the block reference ID in Search and manually update each link with the new note name.
Can we have a dialog window similar to renaming headings? Something such as right click → “Move block to another note”, choose a new note, and all links to that block will be updated.
If a file got updated in some other way, and you’ve noticed some broken links, you can use the > “Repair links in file” command to fix them. The plugin will search through the metadata cache and try to find a file that contains the block or heading in the link.
Partially relies on internal Obsidian APIs, so it may break. If you noticed that, please create an issue
+1 to this FR. I maintain a personal wiki full of pages describing a concept / topic (e.g. [[Application Server]]). Sometimes I rename the titles, and backlinks get automatically renamed too (yay!).
However, some topics are not worthy of their own page and exist as sections of a bigger page (e.g. [[Application Server#GlassFish]]). Intuitively I expected a rename on a section to correct all existing links, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. A hidden manual dialog is kinda obscure from a UX perspective.
In any case, love the app and product, keep it up!