Attempting to open CSS folder launches VLC instead

This is about the oddest thing I’ve seen in some time:

What I’m trying to do

I am clicking the folder icon under Settings->Appearance->CSS Snippets and instead of opening the snippets folder, the program VLC is launched. I am using Debian.

Things I have tried

I have searched for CSS and/or VLC and have found nothing remotely related to this issue.
I have uninstalled VLC and the snippets folder then opens. When reinstalled, VLC launches again.

Does anyone have any idea what could be happening?

Here is a very alternative answer guessing on that you want to edit snippets, and that is to install the CSS editor plugin by @Zachatoo . From a quick switcher it allows you to create, edit and delete snippets, and it’s also possible to use it to enable and disable the snippet.

For some time now this has been my goto for handling CSS snippets.

Yes I am wanting to edit css snippets. And that is a good workaround; I’ll be using it, thank you very much.

Unfortunately it doesn’t address the question of why on earth would the command to open a folder actually launch an application instead.

1 Like

Seems like an issue with associated programs in your linux settings. Nothing having to do with Obsidian.

1 Like

Yeah bizarre! A few google searches seem to indicate that some subtitle file formats can be adjusted and styled with CSS. I was looking to see if any subtitle formats were called “CSS”, but seems not.

I agree, but I’m using a really clean Debian install. What I wonder in relation to Obsidian is if someone knows what is invoked when opening the css folder, so maybe I can get a clue: :slight_smile:

Thank you! I hadn’t thought of that.

I think I have a similar problem…? When I click on the folder icon, the iCloud folder opens at the vault level, not the folder .obsidian with the snippets. I am running OSX Sonoma.

Can you please be specific just to be sure? Do you mean when you click the folder beside “CSS Snippets” under the Appearance settings, like dps? What is your Obsidian installer version? I’m on MacOS Sonoma too, and it doesn’t happen here.

By the way dps, I totally misunderstood until this point sorry. I thought you were trying to open an individual snippet, not the folder. Even weirder!

I did just now make my way to the snippets folder by using the Cmd + Shift + Period to reveal hidden folders.

So… when I click the folder icon under Settings->Appearance->CSS Snippets, I get the Finder window with my iCloud Obsidian folder open, the one showing my Vaults and miscellaneous pdf files scattered in between.

What’s strange is there was one time, earlier this morning, when I clicked the icon (under Settings->Appearance->CSS Snippets) and it showed the correct .Obsidian folder. When I did it again, it only showed the top level, iCloud folder. That happened on the fourth or fifth attempt and hasn’t happened again since then. It got it right 1 out of 30 tries.

I forgot to add that I’m using Obsidian version 1.5.12

No worries, I’m sure I could have phrased it better.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Help installing Dashboard++

A post was merged into an existing topic: Help installing Dashboard++