Argdown support

Another +1 for argdown plug-in

2 Likes

This would be awesome, but I doubt it will become a core plugin, it might be more about someone in the community stepping up to do the work.
Of course this requieres programming skills, but it’d be awesome to have this plugin

2 Likes

@santi: I like your new badge.

2 Likes

hahaha thanks! it’s an honor to have it, it looks awesome!

1 Like

True, I just posted here to have this pushed to the top to get some traffic on it and maybe find someone who could do it :smiley:

2 Likes

@base: “pushing it to the top” does not work. The devs have a pretty good handle on what people want/expect, and where they - the devs - have their priorities. So their list is not influenced each time someone chimes in. The best to do probably is to upvote the OP.

Just my view, BTW, based on comments I have seen from others and the devs. YMMV.

to be honest, the more people participate and contribute to an idea or feature request, it does bring more attention, if not to the developers then maybe perhaps to someone interested in create a useful plugin.

If there’s clear demand from other users to have something, then however might be considering to build a plugin can have some confidence that some users will value it.

Where the attention goes

As a regular frequent user of the forum whether I think consiously about it it or not, I pay more attention to the posts with more participation. So I agree with @base it’s not bad to just come back to posts like this to keep the idea alive.

I do get your point though @Klaas the devs are just people like us, they see where the attention is and they have to make choices about what to prioritize on.

Plugin made by a community member

At least when it comes to this idea, since it will most likely have to be build by a community memeber with programming experience, the best way to bring this to their attention is by contributing to the usefulness of this plugin.

2 Likes

Plugin made by a community member
At least when it comes to this idea, since it will most likely have to be build by a community memeber with programming experience, the best way to bring this to their attention is by contributing to the usefulness of this plugin.

The “push it to the top” was to bring this idea back into circulation, increasing the chance that some person with the skills and the interest in doing it would come across it. (As I said.)

Never meant to try to push anyone to do it, especially not the devs. Sometimes it is good to resurface things. (I only found this because @welstand posted something on Nov 20)

3 Likes

absolutly, discussing about it will keep the idea relevant and alive.

3 Likes

Any news on this?
Maybe it could be implemented in these ways:

• in the YAML frontmatter you specify type: argdown and the whole note is parsed and then rendered as argdown
  • or you could use the code block just like mermaid.
2 Likes

I think the first step is checking what is feasible with the current API and whether there is any developer API requests that need to be made.

I don’t know TypeScript but looking at the plugin API it’s possible to create custom handlers for fenced code blocks. It also looks like there is some level of API to interact with the editor view, so hopefully can set it up so an argdown block doesn’t switch to monospace and can add highlighting for argdown syntax within the block. There’s also API for reading the frontmatter, so it may be possible to then have code along the lines of - if type X then pass whole body to Y handler. There’s also a API for adding new views - so would need to check whether can also have a pane with a toggle to switch between the rendered text and graph views.

2 Likes

+1 for argdown

Any devs feel like taking this on?

Seems like quite a few people would appreciate having Argdown inside Obsidian.

3 Likes

I would say that a system like

```argdown
the argdown content
‌```

may be more inline with other syntax rendering ideas, i guess.
However, for a more complex note, this may be limiting formatting options.

3 Likes

I’m currently working on creating an argdown plugin for Obsidian. I’m a fulltime student so this is just a side-project. My focus at the moment will be creating the minimum viable product. That means the plugin will take the contents of the currently open Obsidian file and create some HTML or an SVG image of the argument map.

At the moment progress is rather slow – this is my first time making a plugin – so bear with me. I’m currently trying to just get the sample plugin working with argdown’s node package. See @rollup/plugin-json error using @argdown-node · Issue #222 · christianvoigt/argdown · GitHub if you want to see the gritty details of how I’m stuck.

Right now, my plugin repo is private because nothing is usable yet.

I’ll keep y’all posted on my progress! Not exactly sure what the timeline will look like but hopefully in a few weeks I’ll have something that is usable.

10 Likes

<3 thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

that’s awesome to hear, thank you for stepping forward and going for it! Let us know updates on your progress here! Thank you

1 Like

Honestly I would prefer

```argdown-map
Argdown content
```

In order to keep compatibility with other systems. For example if I have to open the file in VsCode where I have the Argdown extension installed simply argdown is not enough, rather argdown-map

4 Likes

how does a codeblock starting with “argdown” vs “argdown-map” differ in vscode?

Ok I’m making progress! Should be approaching something usable on the sooner side. Here is what I’ve got so far:

• note: I was not able to integrate the argdown packages into the extension, when I release v1.0 users will need to install the argdown-cli.

• got syntax highlighting in the codeblock (tho I need to change the colors a bit from the original argdown colors bc it is tough to read in dark mode)

• can open a new pane with the argument map

• todo (for now): pan/zoom, export map, auto-update map on changes

6 Likes