Allow analytics for Publish

Use case or problem

The ability to view basic analytics on site and page access history.

Proposed solution

Allow a curated set of analytics providers (Google, Falcon etc) to be specified, with IDs etc.

Current workaround (optional)

No workaround, but also not necessary right now, more of something in the future.

I should share some thoughts:

• I have had a static website around for over a decade, and Obsidian seems (to me) something far superior than what’s available through Jekyll/Hugo etc.
  • Publish is really about taking your vault and making it public, and IMO it is a sweet spot between “raw” static sites, and a non-document graph being shared, e.g. Roam.

Related feature requests (optional)

I am aware of a “general hackability” post from earlier, but that might be a bit too much.

The developers of Obsidian are naturally free to go that way, but IMO Publish is minimal right now, and it should stay that way. Plugging in “arbitrary html” is a recipe for hard-to-diagnose behavior.

I believe you can use Google analytics.
https://help.obsidian.md/Licenses+%26+add-on+services/Obsidian+Publish#Google+Analytics

Thanks for the link!

Somehow I don’t see the textbox for entering the analytics ID just yet. Perhaps the documentation got ahead of the actual state of the Publish plugin?

Still, good to know that the intent is present :slight_smile:

Updated to the new version of the app and I do see this, thanks!

1 Like