Alfred - Obsidian Utilities

Hi @frankmeeuwsen,

I landed on that post because i have the same kind of “xcrun” error pop up message when i launch Obsidian :

xcrun error message obsidian

I did type your terminal command proposed above and reloaded Obsidian but the error message is still there.

As you can see, I cannot see the rest of the path mentioned in the pop-up (after …/usr/).

Would you have any other clues to solve this please ?

Have a good one !

Obsidian shouldn’t require developer tools. Have you tried disabling all community plugins?

@macedotavares Not all, but meanwhile i did install xcode through Terminal sudo xcode-select --install and now the message turned into “Valid git repositroy not found”.
So this is about the Obsidian-git plugin, which is active in my vault but with no repository connect to, i guess.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, that’s Obsidian-git complaining. If you haven’t done so already, you may set up /connect your repository by following these instructions.

1 Like

So glad you got it working again! I’ve been using it, but I’d appreciate tips for how to get the most of out “related”. It keeps returning a handful of (large) files on all my searches. Does this action prioritize for links at all? Or mainly for significant words found in both files?

Hey, @AutonomyGaps ! Nice to see you again.

In its current incarnation, the “Related” action uses a less sophisticated algorithm that doesn’t take tags or wiki links into account. So, yeah, large files are more likely to appear. :man_shrugging:

I haven’t been able to work on this recently, but a very promising discussion is taking place here. I’m pretty confident that these gentlemen will provide the community with something a lot more powerful than my workflow.

This isn’t over yet :sunglasses:

This is only the beginning! When you think about how for the Obsidian developers and plug-in community have come in the past 6 months, it’s amazing to think about what’s yet to come. (BTW, for picking up the connections, I’ve been using the “See also…” function in DEVONthink, using the folder of my vault as a DEVONthink database. It also picks up connections).

The “related” function is still really cool, and I can just go through and select stuff to keep or delete from the generated list of links. Thanks for getting this working!

1 Like

I have set the variables as required. The new task command puts the task at the bottom of the task file and disregards the location of the named header, “open”, which is above my “done” header. Header is H2.

Also the journal entry and append note commands don’t work. I get a message in Obsidian that the file has been opened, but no text is added.

I installed python (which I otherwise don’t need). After standard install, I notice that it shows the interpreter residing at: /usr/local/bin/python3. It appears that the Alfred workflows require /usr/bin/python3 . Is this the problem? If yes, how shall a best correct it?

Thanks for your help.

Hi, @jmlee. Sorry for the delay.

Yeah, that Python install location would be enough to throw the workflow off its tracks. You’ll either have to

a) (re)install Python to /usr/bin/python3
b) go through all the Python scripts in the workflow and change their very first line from #!/usr/bin/python3 to #!/usr/local/bin/python3

I hope you get it to work.

Cheers!

Hi @macedotavares ,
thanks for the information. I’m not sure yet which option is best for me, but I can surely change the scripts if needed.
Cheers,
James

Hi @macedotavares,

I changed the entries for the Python scripts in the workflow. I am not getting better results. As stated before, the new task command pastes the entered text only at the bottom of the task file, but not after the open header.
Also the journal entry and append note commands behave as before (message in Obsidian, but no entry).

I see in the workflows that Python scripts are not called for the latter two commands, so that doesn’t seem to be the issue.

I have double-checked all the variables. They are correct, and they do not contain the #-sign.

Any further ideas?

Cheers,
James

Please activate the debugging console in Alfred, run the actions again and DM me the logs.

We’ll figure this out.

It seems I don’t yet have the proper trust level to send PMs. So, I copied in one below. I also ran into an error that I can only post 5 links in a post. Therefore, in the log below, broke the links by adding “222” in the middle of the last one.

Here are my results:
The debugger immediately showed my error in the Add Journal Entry and Add Note Workflows. I had entered the full path in the variable “daily folder”. So that is now working.

In the Add Task Workflow, the result still appears at the bottom of the note, and not under my defined header (“open”). Here is the log result (the first part is my content, with my header “open”):

- - - start of alfred debugging log - - -
## open

- [ ] REQ: Documentation creating change from request

## done

## waiting

## on-hold

- [ ] [[2021-04-29]] testing ^9659e3

- [ ] [[2021-04-30]] this is a test task ^3721bb

- [ ] [[2021-04-30]] this is a test task again ^a21cc0

---' to [Arg and Vars](alfredpreferences:workflows%3Eworkflow%3Euser.workflow.CB605FD6-94FD-4BA6-ABEE-D355547DA1F4%3E93EA1574-ED7A-470D-9BC2-DEBC2A05F0DD)

[07:48:32.115] Obsidian Utilities[[Arg and Vars](alfredpreferences:workflows%3Eworkflow%3Euser.workflow.CB605FD6-94FD-4BA6-ABEE-D355547DA1F4%3E93EA1574-ED7A-470D-9BC2-DEBC2A05F0DD)] Processing complete

[07:48:32.115] Obsidian Utilities[[Arg and Vars](alfredpreferences:workflows%3Eworkflow%3Euser.workflow.CB605FD6-94FD-4BA6-ABEE-D355547DA1F4%3E93EA1574-ED7A-470D-9BC2-DEBC2A05F0DD)] Passing output '' to [Run Script](alfredpreferences:workflows%3Eworkflow%3Euser.workflow.CB605FD6-94FD-4BA6-ABEE-D355547DA1F4%3E5F09637B-0150-4EE7-9668-99AB1655CBD1)

[07:48:32.535] Obsidian Utilities[[Run Script](alfredpreferences:workflows%3Eworkflow%3Euser.workflow.CB605FD6-94FD-4BA6-ABEE-D355547DA1F4%3E5F09637B-0150-4EE7-9668-99AB1655CBD1)] Processing complete

[07:48:32.536] Obsidian Utilities[[Run Script]222(alfredpreferences:workflows%3Eworkflow%3Euser.workflow.CB605FD6-94FD-4BA6-ABEE-D355547DA1F4%3E5F09637B-0150-4EE7-9668-99AB1655CBD1)] Passing output '# do, too

- - - end of log - - -

Thanks for your time on this.
Cheers,
James

Thanks for the logs. I’ll look into them and try to solve this.

@macedotavares I really love this utility. People have asked me how I used it as well and I recorded a quick demonstration of how I use it including the mindset when I apply it: How To Use Alfred App With Obsidian | A Quick Demonstration - YouTube

1 Like

Hi, James.

I’ve been breaking my head trying to figure out what the hell is going on, and suddenly it came to me just this morning.

It’s actually a fault in the documentation. There’s something I forgot to mention, and I’m surprised that this issue hasn’t come up before.

Each section in your tasks file must be delimited by an H2 level and a horizontal rule (---). If the rule is absent, the action behaves exactly as you described.

So, your tasks file should have this type of structure:

## Inbox Section
- [ ] A task
- [ ] Another task

---

## Some other section
- [ ] Task three
- [ ] Task four

---

## And so on
- [ ] and on
- [ ] and on

I’m pretty confident that this will fix it. Sorry for the oversight.

Cheers!

This is a very useful set of scripts for Alfred. How difficult might it be to convert it for use with something like LaunchBar?

1 Like

I’m afraid I’ve never used LaunchBar, so I can’t be sure. I believe it will possible to reproduce most (if not all) of the actions, adapting the python scripts when necessary. I’m guessing it will be non-trivial, though, as it probably deals with environment variables differently.

That did the trick! It works perfectly now. Specifically this ability to add tasks to my list is going to be a real help for me.

Thanks for all your efforts!

Cheers
James

Yeah, I imagined the same. A quick glance already made me realise it might be too much work. What I’ve been doing so far with native LaunchBar functionality is,

• Assign an abbreviation to my “Daily” folder so just searching for d gives me that folder.
  • Using CMD+▶ to browse the folder sorted by recently modified files (that’s what the CMD is for) so that my daily note (usually) is at the very top
  • Using Shift+⮐ to append text, type my required text and hit return again

I think it could be faster, someday when I have time perhaps I’ll write up an AppleScript which always get the note for today’s date and appends to that with one shortcut.

1 Like