Add Weekly, Monthly and maybe even Yearly notes as options to the 'Daily Note' plugin

I find myself drifting a lot to the usage of weekly notes to take notes in, jot down quick reminders or information or to take notes on smaller meetings that I’m attending. I find that using Daily notes clouds my graph and creates a lot of documents that have almost no contents. I understand ofcourche that other users get a lot of use out of daily note.

I use the ISO8601 standaard to create them (So week 45 of 2020 would look like 2020-W45). I would love it if you could toggle on and of different kinds of auto generated notes like the daily note to create a setup to you own liking.

The options I would propose are:

• Daily Note
  • Weekly Note
  • Monthly Note
  • Yearly Note (optional)
16 Likes

Weekly notes are a great idea.

2 Likes

You should be able to do much of this already. See the examples here:

2 Likes

A thank you! I did not find this item when I was searching for relevant post. Personaly I would go for the 8601 standard like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601#Week_dates .

I would love the option to ‘Open the Weekly note’ or ‘Open Monthly note’. I could also build a custom plug-in in due time but I think of it more like an extension of the existing plugin.

1 Like

I have and use weekly notes now; I used to do monthly as well but found it confusing (mapping weeks into months isn’t clean). Also found that I seem to work on weekly cycles for planning and daily for execution, so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

For the Daily note format, I use YYYY.MM.DD-WW.dd, which gives me 2020.11.09-46.Mo for daily note names (week number is after the dash). On a Monday, I create the daily note as usual and then duplicate the file, and just trim the .Mo from the filename giving me 2020.11.09-46 (week 46, starting on the 9th of November). I also find it convenient to see what happened on Wednesday of week 42, for example. So my daily notes folder looks like this:

Easy to see the week notes, and also easy to bring up both the week notes and the day notes for that week:

Not a standard by any means, but after trying various standards-based formats I’ve settled on this - it works well for me.

5 Likes

Weekly review note with all daily notes from that week transcluded

1 Like

+1 on this request.

I would also love to see the core Daily Note plugin be extended to support Weekly notes. I do Weekly reviews as part of my core workflow.

I manually create a blank weekly review note every Friday. I pulled together Templater and a custom template with date tokens using the date command to manipulate dates in the past/future.

It works, as long as my Friday doesn’t blow up and don’t do it until Saturday, but think it would be smoother if it was more integrated and baked into the app.

3 Likes

Yeah, those would be wonderful. I’m using regular templates for now and it works fine, but it’s a bit more requiring.

1 Like

Another option I saw this morning that could work for many here is the Calendar plugin. There’s a weekly option you can configure and if you click on the wweek number it creates the note with token replacement.

It’s a great plugin but the config options aren’t flexible enough for me in particular with filenaming, that I am staying with with my Templater option.

1 Like

That’s actually really cool and such a simple solution.

Liam Cain made a plugin that can help you create weekly and monthly notes. He is planning on integrating this with the calendar plugin.

4 Likes

Yes! That’s what I ended up using. Great plug-in!

1 Like