Add setting to collapse/fold (or expand) Properties across all notes by default

Use case or problem

I have a lot of properties across notes. On mobile I have to scroll down a lot to see the actual note text

Proposed solution

Instead of the current hide “Properties” or make it “Visible” add a “Collapse” setting that, when selected, keeps the “Properties” collapsed across notes when they are opened. Still allows the user to expand and show the properties. Next note opened, they are collapsed.

Current workaround (optional)

None.

Related feature requests (optional)

Got tired of searching and reading the many existing feature requests to see if one exists.

40 Likes

An option/toggle to auto collapse or expand would be appreciated.

An alternative would be a toggle for displaying them from the command palette.

4 Likes

Yes both but first option to hide first please :hugs:

Yes, the properties default to unfolded currently. I have a hot key to toggle the fold properties but I have to use it all the time. It is MADDENING. Simply having an option in Settings | Editor | Properties of “Visible folded” would be fantastic!

3 Likes

YES, YES, YES! Fold the properties by default! Well, at least provide a setting to keep all properties folded until expanded.

I like having the properties quickly accessible at the top of a note…but I can’t stand seeing the whole list (even if just 1-2 propertites) every time I open a note. 99% of the time, I don’t need to see the properties. So I have them hidden now, but opening the sidebar is fiddly and editing the new syntax in source mode hasn’t clicked for me yet (dashes instead of commas is apparently a hard transition…)

4 Likes

It would be ideal solution for Android or iOS with lack of screen space and slow touch-interface.

2 Likes

+1
properties folded by default would be amazing

or maybe even better a checkbox in the editor menu to choose the fold behavior of properties

4 Likes

Yes, I also hope that this feature will be officially implemented. As a PC user, I don’t think it’s necessary to always expand the properties menu, since it takes up most of the screen.

If you want to implement this feature yourself before it’s officially supported, the following showcase might be helpful: Hide/Show Properties and “add property” button in Reading Mode

Another solution I use is the ‘Properties View: Show File Properties’ from the command palette and hide the Properties menu by setting ‘Settings > Editor > Properties in Document’ to ‘Hide’. Below is an example image.

5 Likes

First off: yes, I am aware the properties view can be hidden, and then viewed using the side pane w/ the properites plugin. This is not what I’m looking for, as my sidepane is already full enough and the default location is preferable.

Use case or problem

I would like the properties view to be collapsed on page load, with the cursor auto-placed below it instead of at the top of the file. This is (as far as I am aware) not possible currently. I want to be able to quickly access the information in properties in its default location, but not have to see it every time I open a page.

Proposed solution

Add an option to the properties dropdown (maybe called “collapsed”?) that collapses the properties view by default, and places the cursor below it.
Also, reducing the default whitespace would be nice, but ig is not strictly necessary.

This is an example image from my vault showing an imported article from readwise showing my desired behavior - with some additional markup showing the default whitespace. There are no characters or newlines in between the collapsed “Properties” and the title.

This is a picture of the settings page (credit to post linked below) showing the current options in the properties dropdown.

Current workaround (optional)

There is no workaround I’m aware of.

Related feature requests (optional)

Past post about collapsing properties that ended with the current hidden setting

5 Likes

The Toggle fold properties in current file hotkey has also been useful to me, and make Properties hidden by default.

This is also something I’d really like to have implemented as a noob. I’m finding that when I use core search assistant and view a screen of results, I want to be able to hide the properties to see more of the results.

Why doesn’t a developer think like us?:rage: Is he doing it intentionally? Your idea must exist and be active, rather than a foundation.

I agree it would be very useful to have a global “fold properties on all notes” command.
FYI another related properties appearance topic with css code that I’ve found useful.

2 Likes

I’m new to obsidian. Properties are useful for searches and queries, but…

• They take up way too much space.
  • Hiding them entirely and relegating them to the sidebar is too big of a hammer.
  • The keyboard shortcut is puts a ridiculous onus on the user and snaps us out of the flow of writing. I don’t want to think about my environment.

Auto-collapse is an elegant middle ground.

1 Like

For anyone looking to do this from a script/command, you can trigger the fold action by executing (in a JavaScript or console):

app.commands.executeCommandById('editor:toggle-fold-properties')

Haven’t figured out how to get it to do it on file load without writing a custom plugin to register to the onLoad event.

2 Likes

Please, developers, add the option to auto-fold metadata properties! This is my number one request right now, and this option definitely deserves to be built-in one.

this! I want to set properties to folded in my templates.