Add option to disable new files opening in a new tab

Use case or problem

I use Obsidian for taking notes in school, and I use new files to organize those notes by section. I pretty much never use tabs; I just use the file/folder section on the left to navigate when I need to. Additionally, I do not need a file to still be open in a tab once I’ve finished with it.

Proposed solution

Add an option to swap the default behavior for new files between opening a new file in the active tab and the current behavior of opening a new file in a new tab.

Current workaround (optional)

None. Getting real annoying having to keep deleting tabs every time I make a new file.

Related feature requests (optional)

Not a feature request per se, but I did find a reddit post with other people wanting something similar: https://www.reddit.com/r/ObsidianMD/comments/y3gr8d/how_to_disable_new_notes_opening_new_tabs/

I’ve also seen people ask for the option to completely disable tabs. This would not be ideal for my issue, as I do sometimes use multiple panes for viewing multiple files at a time. For example, I use Obsidian for my DnD notes as well, and it is nice to be able to have one pane up for some reference information and another pane up for the notes involving the current session.