Add aliases to frontmatter by right click on a link with alias

Use case or problem

In languages different than English, where words can be in many forms - like feminine, masculine we can have many connection to one destination.

E.g. Names and Surnames have different forms e.g my name:
Darek, Darka, Darkowi, Dariusz, Dariuszowi, Dariusza

Now after/or during creating a new content I need to open destination files many times and manually add each form to aliases section of frontmatter.

This is time consuming and not effective for me.

Proposed solution

It would be nice to have the possibility to add to aliases saved in the frontmatter tag directly from a note. For example.

I can have a file.md:

---
aliases: 
    - file a
---

and in another someanotherfile.md I can put a link

some text [[file.md|next alias to file]]

I would like to have the option to add this new alias to file.md right from an editor.

My proposition is to add an action assigned to Right Click in the context menu named e.g.

Add as an alias in frontmatter

This action will create a new alias in the file.md :

---
aliases: 
- file a
- next alias to file

---

Current workaround (optional)

• manually add each alias to a destination file.
28 Likes

Or even better. To automatically add different variations of the same term as aliases to the frontmatter of the linked file.

For example, when we link file [[Dariusz|Darka]], Darka is automatically added as an alias to the frontmatter of file Dariusz. When in another file we want to link Dariusz by name Darka, we can do it just by doing this [[Darka]].

If a language has different forms of one word (declensions) that becomes very useful really quickly. Also handy for plurals of the same word [[Fish|Fishes]].

7 Likes

Wow! Still unresolved…

Have had some neat attempts at resolving with plug-ins, but nothing as sweet as a native OEM solution surely would be…

Any aliasification advice?

Inline multi-Aliasing: Disambiguating Analogies, Idioms, Word Usage

^more grave-diggin’

This is a critical feature Obsidian is missing, the whole concept of reusing your existing notes, finding and creating links and connections between notes to generate wisdom and knowledge compromises for not having this feature!!!

2 Likes

A fellow Polish person struggling with the same problem. My notes can sometimes have up to 20 aliases just to cover the most used declensions for nouns or conjugations for verbs. It’s mind-boggling how many minutes can I waste doing this. Otherwise I’m forever doomed to writing the same aliases over and over when putting my notes in actual sentences.

You can have [[a note]] be both a subject and given [[a note]] to [[a note]] as an object in English.
You can’t do it in some languages.

Notat[ka], notat[ce], notat[ką], notat[ki], notat[kami], notat[kom], notat[kę], notat[ko]

3 Likes

still unsolved in the 1.0 era

3 Likes

I really do hope this is in the docket now that the major update has been released.

We can be hopeful since they have in the aliases help:

In the future, we’ll consider more user-friendly ways to manage aliases than manually writing them in front matter.

2 Likes

+1 for better aliasing

1 Like

please check out my newest post on this topic

1 Like

I just released Obsidian plugin which supports fast and handy creation of links together with their aliases in the front matter of the target note. I was already using that plugin for about 1 month while building my personal knowledge base with thousands of links. It already saved me a lot of time. I believe it can help you too.

1 Like