A way to delete a tag from all files that contain it?

What I’m trying to do

I am trying to delete a tag from all files that contain it. Does anybody know how to do this?

I am running Obsidian 0.12.12 on macOS 11.5.2

Things I have tried

I have tried using TagWrangler, and although I can use it to rename tags, I don’t see a way to delete them.

3 Likes

You could use a program such as VSC or Atom to run a global search for #tag in your vault and replace with nothing.

Useful to make a backup in Finder before making major changes to a whole vault.

Angel

There is a third party plugin called Find and Replace in Selection, but I think it only does one note at a time.

Using your tagwrangler, can you leave the replacement text as blank? Replace “#tag” with “”.

Thanks for the suggestion, @anon12638239, I’ll have a look at Atom.

Hi @Obsidandnancy, Tag Wrangler doesn’t allow renaming tags to nothing ("").

Try this grepWin - Stefans Tools

Thanks for the suggestion, @Flexit. I neglected to mention (and have now edited my post) that I am running macOS.

1 Like

Saw that the dev that wrote tag wrangler has no intention on adding a Delete tag function:

“(I’ve considered adding tag deletion as well, but given that it’s a destructive operation with no undo, well… seems better to do it with an interactive search and replace, or to just merge the tag into another tag – i.e. rename it to the same as an existing tag. This will “delete” the old name from the tag pane, at any rate.)”

Other threads recommending VS Code, looks like there is a Mac version.

Another reply recommending Notepad++, but not sure there is a mac version.

Also, I noticed there is an Obsidian third party plugin for Tag Wrangler. Good to know.

Thank you for these suggestions, @Obsidandnancy, I will find something that will do a search and replace.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.