A proposal for rendering block embeds inline

I would also love this feature!

3 Likes

… a big +1 for this feature!

2 Likes

It seems that Obsidian first has to solve the “linking to line/section/block” problem in a better way before the issue here can be addressed, as this issue (and others as well) will naturally make use of whatever mechanism Obisidian uses to solve the internal link problem. The current “footnote-exploit” ([^3bc4h]) approach is fragile and frankly a little ugly and cumbersome. More problematically, it is not a first-class citizen, which limits what we can do with it and also does not give us the magic refactoring.

For many reasons, if Obsidian offered a robust, reliable, ergonomic and minimal friction model for handling persistent links to constructs under the file-scope as first-class citizens (line, paragraphs, blocks, etc.) then it would truly elevate this app to a completely new scale of networked knowledge!

For now, though, it seems that the secret hack is to make any content that you wish to reference atomically a list item to define a subpage scope, and then use the current footnote-style internal link to reference it.

For example, given the following file:

%% source1.md
- This content will not show up if the  next is embedded
- so much depends upon  
  a red wheel barrow  

glazed with rain  water  
  beside the white  
  chickens 

^slyk3i
- This content will not show up if the previous or next is embedded
- Three rings for the elven kings under the sky
    Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,  
    Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,  
    Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,  
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne  
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.  

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,  
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them  
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
  ^qfvmeq

- This content will not show up if the previous is embedded

We have full control over what gets embedded – everything, arbitrarily complex, that is in the list item scope:

![[source1#^qfvmeq]]

![[source1#^slyk3i]]

Many drawbacks to this: ugly syntax, the friction/need for coming up with our unique id’s (plugins help with this), no magic refactoring as these subfile chunks get moved around, the need to forward-plan and put everything that we want to embed into lists etc.

8 Likes

+1 :sneezing_face::sneezing_face::sneezing_face:

3 Likes

Hoping for the feature request of inline embeds as suggested by the many voices here to be implemented.

4 Likes

+1 for this request!

4 Likes

+1 for this request

4 Likes

+1 for inline block references. Even a core appearance option toggle would be great.

Let the user decide how they would like their transclusions to render. The massive css hack isn’t sustainable longterm.

6 Likes

Huge +1 for this, would be great for personal wiki workflows!

3 Likes

Seems embeds still do not render inline with latest 1.3.5 and 1.4.1
Details Embed Adjustments: how to flush/strip padding ¡ SlRvb/Obsidian--ITS-Theme ¡ Discussion #240 ¡ GitHub

Am I wrong?

2 Likes

+1. This would also probably help with this other popular feature request (made by WhiteNoise, one of the moderators): Edit transcluded (embedded) notes (blocks) in place (likely requires WYSWYG first)

3 Likes

+1 i would love this feature

3 Likes

I’m going to throw my vote in the ring for this feature as well. It’d make a lot of workflows & usages far simpler & cleaner.

4 Likes

Fully support this idea/request. I would love to see this happen. I really think people could/would switch to Obsidian more easily.

3 Likes