Zotero -> zotfile -> mdnotes -> obsidian -> dataview Workflow

Hey Cat—I am trying to set up a workflow for importing and annotating caselaw into Zotero/Juris-M and then into Obsidian for further processing. I see here you are using Juris-M. Is there a way to get case metadata to auto populate into Zotero/Juris-M using PDFs generated from Westlaw? I tried to get this to work, but Zotero/Juris-M was unable to find references when I added the PDF. Any help with this initial step of the workflow is much appreciated!

I find that clicking on the note and then clicking on something else removes the first line from the title of the note.

1 Like

Quick question… On a mobile, is it possible to open zotero URLs from Obsidian app in a PDF viewer?

e.g. zotero://open-pdf/library/items/C2599NZ8

:star_struck: Thanks @Cat, awesome writeup

References are my weak point and this post is helping me

yes, please share! :wink:

1 Like

Yes - some sites allow case data to be auto populated as long as you use the web connector directly from the site, rather than from the pdf. Westlaw in the US does (at least with US cases), Hein sometimes gets it right and bailii.org does it. Others that I’ve used haven’t updated to allow that unfortunately.

Ditto to the other comments - this is fab can you share your set up please? Many thanks

1 Like

Bravo!

Sorry for not replying before (I do not visit this forum often). I’m packaging my script into a plugin, so I should be able to share it soon

2 Likes

First, thanks for such a detailed explanation. I’m having trouble following how to get colored annotations into Obsidian.

I basically use two colors - yellow and cyan. How can I extract both into one annotation file that I can then export to markdown?

1 Like

Hi, thank you so much for this workflow, I’m loving it so far! I had a query about the backlinks used in [[Important]] for example with the highlights - what do you do with them once in Obsidian? Do you create a separate ‘Important’ md note?

Thanks very much for this posting this workflow!

Regarding the setting of extensions.zotfile.pdfExtraction.formatAnnotationHighlight, I wonder if it is possible to add a fixed ID/identifier to each highlight. Then, it’ll be easier to do block reference.

Although obsidian will automatically generate a block ID for us, this ID is changed after each extraction from zotfile/mdnotes. And then all links pointing to our highlights will fail.

1 Like

In case anyone else asks the same equation again: Zotero best practices - #179 by janisc mdnotes is able to generate a unique block ID for each highlight.

1 Like

That’s great. Looking forward to your plugin. Keep us posted!

Thanks very much for sharing this workflow! I’ve learned much from both the post and replies.

I’m new to Obsidian & Zotero, so the following question may be dumb to you guys. I created a new placeholder according to the guide, but how to change the Preference Name or to delete the entire entry? And where could I find all the field item names and their usage? I googled and found this page (kb:item types and fields [Zotero Documentation]), but still got confused.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the great workflow!

I use a lot of subcollections in my Zotero organization. Is there a placeholder that exports the parent collections?

I have uploaded the first version of the plugin today (BibNotes Formatter: New Plugin to Export and Format Annotations from Zotero into Obsidian)

2 Likes

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: BibNotes Formatter: New Plugin to Export and Format Annotations from Zotero into Obsidian

Awesome, thanks a lot.

When I got to the config editor in Zotero and change the values in extensions.zotfile.pdfExtraction.colorCategories nothing changes when I extract annotations. they still show the same colors from before. Any suggestions?