Zooming in and out from .jpg files

Is there any way how to zoom in and out in .jpg files that are opened directly in Obsidian (i.e. not embedded)? I have tried ctrl + scrolling but it does not work.

What I’m trying to do

Short answer: No, I don’t think so.

Do you mean when you have an image open, separately in it’s own pane?

There is a keyboard shortcut to zoom the entire text and interface. On MacOS it is Cmd+= and Cmd± to zoom out. In Windows I guess it is Ctrl+= and Ctrl±

And Cmd-0 (zero) to go back to actual size.

That zooms everything, but it also zooms the image. Other than that, I don’t think there is any way to zoom just the image.

I don’t know if ctrl-scrolling does the same thing. That doesn’t work for me. I can pinch-zoom with my trackpad, but that only zooms the text size. It does not scale the interface or the images in a separate pane.

1 Like

There is the third party image plugin:
Obsidian Image Toolkit

Unfortunately, that does not work with .jpg images opened directly by Obsidian, i.e. those that are not part of .md file.

I installed the Obsidian Image Toolkit plugin, when I click on any image (even a .jpg), I get a new image in the center of the screen, and I can use my mouse wheel to zoom. This is with the image itself opened as a note.

It even works in Edit mode with an image in a note, when you CTRL/CMD hover an image link and then click the image, you can zoom as well.

Maybe you are doing something different, but I like the plugin so much I’m keeping it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that where we differ: I don’t want to open image in fullscreen and then to zoom in / out - because then I cannot make notes. I want to zoom in and zoom out without going fullscreen. Is that possible? I cannot achieve this with the plugin.

If you have a way to pin your note-taker on top, then you should be able to do it.

Unfortunately, this does not work. It still opens the image in full screen.

You’re taking notes in the same window as the image?
At the very least you’d need different windows. The image below, and the note-taker on top. I use separate programs, but you should be able to do it in Obsidian; separate vaults should work, or nested vaults open on the same file.

Well, of course, we can always use different apps or more instances of one app - but that is cumbersome. I hoped that this basic feature would be built-in in Obsidian, since it can display images directly and it supports multiple windows within one instance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.