YAML entry with commas within quotation marks should produce a single entry

Obisidian has decided that a comma is a separator even when it is within quotation marks. So entering “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” as an alias means that you will end up with two aliases: “O Brother” and “Where Art Thou?”.

But one of the reasons we use quotation marks is precisely to keep a phrase together, or to take into account punctuation marks within a phrase.

I can understand wanting ease of input, and using a comma as a separator, but not when it is within quotation marks!

Please reconsider this decision.
See Alias wrapped in quotation marks splitting at comma - #6 by WhiteNoise.

7 Likes

To repeat myself in the bug report, the current behavior is not standard. This was a decision made by licat to ease entering multiple aliases inline.

To be standard BOTH aliases: a, b AND aliases: "a, b" should be interpreted as ONE alias a, b .

If you want to adhere more strictly to YAML, I suggest you use the square bracket notation ["a, b"] .

1 Like

Seems like with tags: Intentionally breaking YAML syntax for the “benefit” of the user (by splitting YAML str’s by ,).

Personally, I’d prefer Obsidian sticking with YAML syntax, i.e.

• aliases: 'One, two and three'one alias
  • aliases: "One, two and three"one alias
  • aliases: One, two and threeone alias
  • aliases: ['One', 'two and three']two aliases
  • aliases: ["One", "two and three"]two aliases
  • aliases: [One, two and three]two aliases
  • aliases:
      - One, two and three

one alias
  • aliases:
      - One
      - two and three

two aliases
  • and so on …

(Added this here after conversing with @WhiteNoise. I support the FR of “standard YAML”.)

6 Likes

I’d prefer the YAML standard way too.

This breach of yaml standards breaks my vault. I have nearly 2.000 files in need of manual revision because the analysis of the translated title stored as aliases is important.

I hope Licat reconsiders this decission.

2 Likes

I add another problem caused by Obsidian’s non-standard YAML: aliases break if they contain any number above a thousand.

An alias “Ailson plans to cut 1,000,500 jobs globally” is listed as three different notes: “Ailson plans to cut 1”, “000” and “500 jobs globally”.

I ran into this as well. If you want to use YAML, use it correctly. If you want to roll your own, fine, but don’t call it YAML!

In v1.4, this divergence from the standard is being addressed.
We will begin with rewriting the incorrect form to a compliant one and eventually (at some point in the future) stop supporting the incorrect format.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.