(Moved to bugs cause it warrants the attention of the developers)
What is the problem
On smartphone I have a large vault with not so many plugins (80% of them are turned-off). The size is given in the image below.
Now, the problem is that it takes 30 seconds to load the workspace AND it does so very frequently after I open the vault (not just the time I open Obsidian!!).
That makes the app frankly unusable on Smartphone for heavy users like myself.
What I have tried
- Setting Obsidian as a “never go to sleep” app, thinking that this might have been the problem (that it closes automatically after a time of inactivity)
- Deactivating most of my community plugins and keeping only the essentials
- Locking the app (next comment suggestion)
- Galaxy A22 5G
- Obsidian version 1.4.9 (108)
Does anyone know how to at least make Obsidian load the workspace only ONCE??
I do not mind the additional battery drainage, given how useful Obsidian is to most of my use cases. But I just can’t wait 30 seconds every time!!
You’re on Samsung, so have you tried this? (not the same as “never go to sleep”)
- Go to the Recents page (swipe up and hold if using gesture navigation, or tap the III button if you’re using navigation buttons).
- Tap the app icon above the app preview/card.
- Tap Lock this app / Keep open.
For me, on my Samsung S22 this prevents Obsidian from closing, and switching to Obsidian is always instant.
Thank you friend!
It did not work unfortunately Still it need to load, or at least when I lock the phone.
Moved from Bug Reports to Help because it’s unlikely to be a bug and doesn’t follow the bug report template (tho it’s closer than most posts that don’t use the template).
How much RAM does your phone have ?
I am trying to figure out what phones actually let you keep apps open in the background. Seems like samsung is the only brand available in the U.S. that has this feature, but I was curious if it actually works consistently.
I have 4GBs of ram.
I actually need to update the status of my question. I had deleted the “workspace.json” file on my phone, and then loading the workspace takes almost no time at all, without any losses in data.
The plugins take some time (though I don’t have that many on my phone), but not as much as the workspace used to.
I still don’t know how to tell my phone to not “freeze” apps that are not accessed for a long time. There are forums online with people who are complaining about the same thing (at least for the Samsung Galaxy)