Workspace Layouts No Longer works v1.1.12

We strongly recommend you to search the forum with possible keywords before submitting a new bug report. Please also try your repro steps with community plugins and custom CSS disabled and see if it’s still reproducible. Alternatively, you can use the Sandbox vault (lower left corner ? → Open Sandbox vault).

If it’s an issue with third-party plugins or themes, try contacting the author for help.

Mobile-specific bug reports should be filed here: https://forum.obsidian.md/c/mobile/18

Once you’ve done the above, delete everything above this line.

Steps to reproduce

I tried to load previous workspace layouts today, but Obsidian loads blank with no notes or menus… I did not see how I could reproduce this in the sandbox, so I offer it here as info.

Environment

• Operating system:
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v1.1.12
    Installer version: v0.15.9
    Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 20.6.0: Sun Nov 6 23:17:00 PST 2022; root:xnu-7195.141.46~1/RELEASE_X86_64 20.6.0
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: supporter
    Insider build toggle: on
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: light
    Community theme: Things v2.0.4
    Snippets enabled: 5
    Restricted mode: off
    Plugins installed: 36
    Plugins enabled: 18
    1: Natural Language Dates v0.6.1
    2: Tag Wrangler v0.5.6
    3: Paste URL into selection v1.7.0
    4: Note Refactor v1.7.1
    5: Ozan’s Image in Editor Plugin v2.1.6
    6: Supercharged Links v0.9.3
    7: Style Settings v0.4.12
    8: Highlightr v1.2.2
    9: Hotkeys++ v0.2.7
    10: Excalidraw v1.8.9
    11: Calendar v1.5.10
    12: Advanced Tables v0.18.1
    13: Dataview v0.5.53
    14: ExcaliBrain v0.1.11
    15: Journey v0.0.7
    16: Customizable Menu v2.2.0
    17: Customizable Page Header and Title Bar v4.7.2
    18: Recent Files v1.3.5

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

I think that deserves a screenshot. Are you able to interact with the app at all?

Or does it just go blank when you load a workspace?

Your Obsidian installer 0.15.9 is out of date. There has been a major new Electron update. Please download and reinstall. And if you can interact with the app, make sure your plugins are all up to date too.

1 Like

thanks for the reply. The screen that comes up is the obsidian window, but without any menus. Just a white rectangle. If I simply load Obsidian, it opens normally in the last instance (i.e. the notes I had opened when I shut the app down).

This morning when I opened the computer obsidian continued to lock up obsidian if I selected one of the five saved layouts. I erased the layouts that did not work (all of them) and Obsidian let me create five more and these all work so far. If it happens again I will follow your advice to catch the problem. Thanks for your assistance. Layouts is a great addition to Obsidian!

Donald

I tried removing the snippets by deleting them from the .obsidian config file, but when I run debug after reloading obsidian, they still show up ?? see below:

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.1.12
Installer version: v0.15.9
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 20.6.0: Sun Nov 6 23:17:00 PST 2022; root:xnu-7195.141.46~1/RELEASE_X86_64 20.6.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: supporter
Insider build toggle: on
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: light
Community theme: Things v2.1.5
Snippets enabled: 5
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 36
Plugins enabled: 18
1: Natural Language Dates v0.6.1
2: Tag Wrangler v0.5.6
3: Paste URL into selection v1.7.0
4: Note Refactor v1.7.1
5: Ozan’s Image in Editor Plugin v2.1.6
6: Supercharged Links v0.9.3
7: Style Settings v0.4.12
8: Highlightr v1.2.2
9: Hotkeys++ v0.2.7
10: Excalidraw v1.8.9
11: Calendar v1.5.10
12: Advanced Tables v0.18.1
13: Dataview v0.5.53
14: ExcaliBrain v0.1.11
15: Journey v0.0.7
16: Customizable Menu v2.2.0
17: Customizable Page Header and Title Bar v4.7.2
18: Recent Files v1.3.5

Also, the sandbox version does not have a layouts button to try it there. 

regards, DC

1. Like I said earlier, download and reinstall Obsidian. You have an out of date installer. (This might not help at all. But it might, and it’s highly recommended. You don’t have the latest version of Electron.)

2. After that, make sure all your plugins are updated too.

3. Look around inside the .obsidian folder, and check for conflicted files. Duplicates that say “conflicted” or “copy” or have a number at the end. This could be why your settings are returning automatically.

Are you using any syncing tools? (Obsidian Sync, iCloud, Dropbox, SyncThing, etc.)

Since reloading Obsidian with the new loader, this problem has not occurred. I do not use sync. If it returns, I will update this. Regards

If I have four of five different layouts saved, Obsidian is very slow in loading. If I erase the saved layouts, it loads fast…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.