Workflow Question - Breaking Up Notes

I have been studying different workflows for programming. I have decided that I am going to use minimal folder structure. However, I am having difficulty deciding on whether or not I should split sub-pages into their own separate note. Let me explain:

I am studying Javascript. There is a main topic called Destructuring Assignment. This topic also has two sub-topics called “Destructuring Arrays” and “Destructuring Objects”. As it stands now; I have one page entitled “Destructuring Assignment” that has foldable headings with code examples for Destructuring Arrays and Destructuring Objects. My question is:

Should I keep the sub-topics Destructuring Arrays and Destructuring Objects on one page with code examples. Or create two separate pages “Destructuring Arrays” and “Destructuring Objects” with code examples?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

What I’m trying to do

For me, I like to keep my notes fairly atomic, so since they both have code examples I’d split them into their own pages and link to them from the parent topic of “Destructuring Assignment”.

However, I think it’s a matter of opinion. Perhaps the best way to find the answer is to ask yourself “how do I expect I’ll search for this in the future?”

So, basically, link to each page from an index or MOC?

Yep, that’s the idea.

I like to think of the lowest-level pages – in this example “Destructuring Arrays” and “Destructuring Objects”, as standalone pages that don’t need to link anywhere. Each one contains a nugget of useful information and doesn’t depend on anything else. Then I like to create topic pages that link to the standalone pages, gathering them together into useful views.

Topic pages are the same idea as what others call “index pages” or “Maps of Content (MOCs)”. I find them really useful because I can re-use the standalone notes in multiple contexts. For example in this case this array page might be linked to by two topics: “Destructuring Data in JavaScript”, and “Comparison of Array modifiers in multiple languages”.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.