Windows: Pinning vaults to Taskbar

I have a good idea for Windows. I have several vaults and occasionally open them all regularly, but I want to avoid merging them because they are area different. How about opening them directly by right-clicking (for right-handed people) in the taskbar, like Firefox does?

Feature idea
2022-10-26_17-03-18-086_t6CrX - Kopie

Like Firefox
2022-10-26_17-16-03-457_4BGbk

5 Likes

I’d love to see this, too. ObsidianMD is built with ElectronJS, which does have the ability to customize the app on the taskbar.

In the meantime, a workaround could be to use the Obsidian URI in a shortcut. On the Windows desktop or somewhere, you can create a new shortcut that will open a particular vault in Obsidian. For example, you could make a new shortcut to open a Recipes vault with the URI obsidian://open?vault=Recipes. Older versions of Windows would let me pin that shortcut to the taskbar, but I haven’t figured out how to do that in Windows 11.

2 Likes

Looks like this isn’t getting much traction… figured I’d reply to see if anyone might give this some love. I completely agree that this would be very, very nice. Being that others say it’s a built in feature of Electron I’m hopeful it’s still on the development radar. Frankly, I see it as an assumed feature of Windows applications.

Feature Request

Pin multiple stacked vaults to Pinned Obsidian Taskbar icon.

Use Case or Problem

I have been relying on a work-around for over a year and it has been inefficient. The work around is inconsistent and solutions that work for some, work differently for others, and are time-consuming to set up for multiple vaults.

Right now I can create URI shortcuts, but each URI shortcut creates a separate vault, those vaults stack together, but the option to pin is only available for one of the vaults - as Windows treats them like I have a browser open with multiple windows. I read another post where they have the opposite problem, that their vaults stack when they pin.

Why isn’t it a defacto feature?

The question for me isn’t why we should implement it. It’s why isn’t it already a defacto feature of Obsidian when it is has the capabilities for it?

Right now when I open Obsidian and click the vaults button, a list of my vaults open. But I do not have any control over which vaults are pinned and which are not, and I have to open the most recent vault - to find the vaults button - then scroll through a list of vaults to find my intended vault. As someone who is easily distracted and often forgets my train of thought - I rely on organizing and being able to quickly jump to desired vault, without having to go through vault detours.

It seems this request has been asked for multiple times but no action has been taken on it. And work arounds cause different effects for different people due to different variations of their OS.

However, no work around would be needed if the ability to pin vaults were built into Obsidian - the same way I can pin my recent files - in Visual Studio Code, Microsoft, VLC or any other code. I initially thought Electron does not allow it as a feature - but elsewhere I read that it is capable of doing so, it just needs to be implemented by the Obsidian team. The only thing I can guess is that the developers do not see the importance of pinned vaults and have placed it as a non-priority.

(Though I once thought tables were a low priority - until the recent update, which was a game changer - so maybe it is just last on the list of improvements.)

I feel, unlike what it took to upgrade tables in Obsidian. This itself, is such a small and simple thing that would increase the productivity and usability for people who prioritize efficiency, organization and utilize multiple separate vaults. It’s been requested and archived enough that I don’t think it is a niche request.

Proposed solution

Add the feature to pin vaults to the Obsidian Icon.

Current workaround (optional)

Right now you have to create a shortcut URI for each individual vault, and then drag it to your taskbar. This takes MULTIPLE steps esp. if you have multiple vaults to pin. And the pinning to taskbar is inconsistent. Some people report their pins stack and don’t want it to, while others report theirs don’t stack and want it to, and I am reporting that the pinned vaults are treated like multiple web browsers opened under the name of the first vault opened for myself.

Related feature requests (optional)

Obsidian.md URI

Pin vaults in Windows taskbar

Windows: Pinning vaults to Taskbar

And more.

1 Like

When you find an existing request for the feature you want, add your feedback there. Don’t post duplicate requests.

Since this was written in 2022 I thought it was closed like the other links I found requesting the same thing. I did not scroll each thread to the bottom to see if it was closed as most of them were closed when I went to reply, I assumed this was the same. Otherwise I would not have added a separate request.

1 Like

Closed threads have a lock icon by the title. (But if they didn’t, then you should have scrolled to the bottom to check — this was the only request.)