Why would one write a plugin for a feature rather than streaming data to a dedicated app?

For example, why would one write a kanban plugin when you can stream data to a dedicated kanban app like Trello? Or a calendar plugin when there are Google Calendars? Some plugins require a view pane and aren’t able to have codeblock. But with websites you can always embed them with iframe tag.

Following this logic, would there be a plugin for social network, video conferencing, because people don’t like Facebook or Zoom? I know that this would make the Obsidian ecosystem richer, but why would people have to do that?

Well, the plugin does the functionality locally, often using markdown files for storage and those files will be integrated well with the rest of Obsidian.

I’d rather use Obsidian Projects rather then Trello, even if it’s still immature

4 Likes

For me: staying in Obsidian and staying text-based Markdown is key. Fewer context switches. And all of the many other reasons Obsidian does what it does, differently, for any individual user out there.

But the data is always in your vault? You just stream it to Trello to visualize and modify it? The modified data will be stream back to your vault, so you can always have it there

@Ooker Could you demonstrate this? I’m curious how this would be set up. Thanks in advance.

Not sure what you mean by demonstration. Here is a plugin to stream data to Trello