Steps to reproduce
- Write a metadata YAML section at the top of a file, e.g.
- Add spaces after the trailing dashes, e.g.
The rest of the content parsed normally
In edit mode markdown formats like links, code blocks, etc., appear as a part of the metadata section, but in view mode they appear correctly.
- Operating system: Windows
- Obsidian version: 0.12.5
- We only consider bugs that are reproducible in the sandbox vault or a vault with no third-party plugins/no css snippets/default theme.
- For Linux, we only accept bug reports that are reproducible with our Appimage package under Gnome or KDE (TBD)
Steps to reproduce
- Open a sandbox vault
- Create a new note with the following content:
Uh-oh... obsidian doesn't like that
Obsidian would either delete/ignore the extra whitespace:
--- <--- This one!
In live preview, the entire text is shown:
In Reading mode, it straight up disappears:
Obsidian version: v1.4.16
Installer version: v1.4.16
Operating system: #1-NixOS SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Oct 30 02:31:08 UTC 2023 6.6.0
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on
- I originally asked a question on discord asking if anyone knew about a plugin I recalled that would format frontmatter (properties) as a code block, as I wasn’t aware of the relatively new properties editor.
- I’m running the NixOS (nixpkgs) version of obsidian, so I haven’t tested this on the appimage version - but I’m relatively certain it will be the same in both.
In case this wasn’t clear to anyone else: the extra whitespace is a single space at the end of the second
---, and it causes the source to be shown instead of the properties UI.
There should be no whitespace after the YAML delimiter. This bug as it was first reported a year ago is fixed.
The YAML section appears marked in red in LP because there is a syntax error (the extra white space) and no properties are parsed. Since no properties are parsed, there’s no relative block to show in reading mode.
First of all my apologies - I didn’t see this post in my perusal.
But secondly, I know why the whitespace didn’t work - I mainly made a bug report because I wanted to know if a QoL feature could be added - something to indicate why the properties section was parsed incorrectly. I know this may be either difficult or against the markdown spec, but it would be a nice QoL feature nonetheless.
Please, open a feature request.
This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.