Where can I find my Obsidian API token

Things I have tried

What I’m trying to do

I’ve done Google searches for Obsidian API token, and Alfred Obsidian API token. I’ve also searched the Obsidian forums for API token

I didn’t think there was an API since Obsidian is pure text files. What were you wanting to use this token for?

Thanks for your response. This is my first posting to these forums, and I’m sorry to say part of my question was cut off. I’m trying to connect it to an Alfred workflow, which is giving me an error message saying it can’t find the API token. If I’ve got the exact error message wrong and you’re right it would certainly explain why I haven’t been able to find out any information about an Obsidian API token. I don’t have time to recheck the exact working of the error message right now, but I’ll doublecheck this afternoon, hopefull get a screen capture of the message

Huh, I’ve never heard of an Obsidian API token but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist, just that I’m unfamiliar.

I’ll do some digging around to see if I can find it, hopefully, someone with more experience will be able to swoop in and save the day.

Actually, I think I just found it.

You’ll want to open the Dev Console within Obsidian. On my mac, it’s Cmd+Alt+I, and I get this:

Type the following in the console and you’ll see a token value:

localStorage['obsidian-account']

That worked! When I first tried it, I wasn’t logged in and the value was “null, but then I logged in and got a number. Thanks a lot! How’d you figure that out?

(Now I’ve just got to get the Alfred workflow to work.)

1 Like

I actually found this due to my experience with Discord :sweat_smile: When Discord first started allowing bots you could use this same method to pull your token and create a self-bot. Basically, a bot that pretended to be you. I had made one that would read all my messages and edit any basic typos.

That said, I’m glad this helped! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.