When exporting to PDF while in dark mode, the PDF font color is unreadable

When exporting to a PDF from dark-mode, the font-color of dark mode is retained, while the background color is not. So, the result is unreadable white-on-white text.

I am able to work-around the issue by changing the base color scheme to “light” before exporting.

Personally, I think the color scheme of a printable document should not be tied to the color scheme of the editor. They’re different use cases, and CSS has @media queries because of similar issues.

I also don’t think the color scheme of the editor needs to be tied to the document, either. BTW, I’m not using any custom CSS or inline color attributes or anything like that.

I’m running the AppImage on Ubuntu 20.04 with Gnome desktop.

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.8
Installer version: v1.5.3
Operating system: #83~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 21 20:23:31 UTC 2023 5.15.0-76-generic
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Steps to reproduce

1. Enable dark mode (Settings > Appearance > Base color scheme > Adapt to system) — which is dark mode for me.
  2. Export a document to PDF

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

I was able to reproduce this in the sandbox vault. The “Official Help Site” is in a black box because of my OS. (It’s selected text in a non-active window.) The text was invisible before I selected it.

Expected result

Actual result

Environment

Additional information

Please, Download and reinstall Obsidian as asked in the troubleshooting steps.

i am having the same issue on Fedora 39 using the Flatpak

If you are using the dark mode color scheme, try switching to the light mode using the default theme before exporting the PDF.

that works but its still unexpected behaviour