What prompts do you use for your daily notes or journal?

What prompts do you use for your daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly/yearly notes or journal? I’m looking for inspiration and would love to hear what works for others.

Day

Goals

• [ ] Goal 1
  • [ ] Goal 2
  • [ ] Goal 3

Accomplishments

• Accomplishment 1
  • Accomplishment 2
  • Accomplishment 3

Reflection

• What went well this day?
  • What could have been better?
  • What did I learn this day?
  • What do I want to focus on next day?

Events

• Event 1
  • Event 2
  • Event 3

Tasks

• Task 1
  • Task 2
  • Task 3

Notes

• Note 1
  • Note 2
  • Note 3

This template is generated by chatGPT

1 Like

Review yesterday

Thoughts

Aims

Wellness

Exercise

Blocks

Grateful for

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing these prompts. I appreciate it!

2 Likes

I’m glad for this thread: I just started using my daily notes for my personal life-vault instead of just my work vault.

I have three simple ones for my daily notes. I settled on these as the week tends to fly by without any recollection of what I did.

• What is my greatest accomplishment today?
  • What went well? Why?
  • What was my greatest challenge today?

These all inform my weekly review prompts:

• What were my top 3 accomplishments this week?
  • What was the greatest challenge I experienced this week?

I would like to begin using some area-specific prompts or checklists. E.g. “did I do something nice for someone today?”

1 Like

Adding information about challenges you face and how you overcome them is a great idea. Thank you for sharing!

For work I follow the suggestions in this post. I believe that keeping it simple, i.e. with just a few headers, is better!

Interesting! Thank you.

I’m going to buck the trend. I have used a list of prompts, and at one point because they got repetitive, I even used the random note/quote generator (forget which plugin does this) give me a different set each day.
But…I’ve found myself reflecting more deeply when I just write a narrative about my day, what happened, how I felt, what mattered to me, and basically do a brain-and-feeling dump. Each journal entry is different, and each reflects where I was at that day. Don’t get me wrong, the prompts can be great for reflecting, but I found myself getting mechanical answering them, and I wasn’t necessarily getting the prompts I needed for that particular day.
So now my prompts are just Mood:: and then my thoughts and feelings about the day. Then I have GPT-3 (using Text Generator) provide single line summaries of the Positive::, Neutral:: and Negative:: aspects, and a calculation of Tone:: ranging from -5 to +5. This lets me brainstorm/feelingstorm freely but also have some searchable structure for review.

1 Like

I have separate vaults for work and non-work. I’d rather not, but I have to keep the two separate for various reasons

For work my main prompt is “### :calendar: Meeting Notes” which is pre-filled with “#### Daily Standup” and gives space to add other meetings at the beginning of the day and make notes from them (or link to a separate note if it’s a more formal meeting). I also have a section for things I want to achieve today (that aren’t covered by Jira tickets), and a “# :memo: Notes” section for writing things down before they get moved to a separate note. If I’m actually working on Jira tickets I’ll also link to them in my daily notes.

For non-work, I don’t really use daily notes. The only thing I really use it for are to list which books/movies/TV I’ve consumed.

In my case, I also have two vaults.
The first one is solely for my conlang (because obsidian beautifully combines making documentation and querying dictionary entries or lets you include passages from text corpus without copying them).
Here the daily note is a copy from my original paper log:
First ## headings with subjects I write about (for example today was “word formation of adjectives, usage of the lexeme x”) and ## log section where I make lists with the new lexemes, new phrases, new definitions, and if I need to, link comparisons with natural languages.
I do realise this is an example of very purpose-oriented daily note.

In my general vault, I have yaml section with habits I have to track (my ADD need visual reminder even if I do something on long enough for it to be a habit) that I can see on a pinned note visualised
Then the tags for the day (#journal, #medsname for those that are taken when needed and I need to know when) then an uplifting though in a pink callout (I don’t vibe with gratitude journal)
Then goes timetable for full calendar plug in to keep track of the classes I give as one section and the second section is daily to do, synced with checklist
then I have a red callout for meditation and ## Research where I keep notes that have not been migrated to a separate file, my vocabulary notes for the languages I speak/learn and a braindump of ideas and subjects that pop up.

Due to how full calendar plugin interacts with the daily notes, if your timetable isn’t the last thing in your daily note it gets added a second time (at least with my template settings, I’m a ESL teacher, not an IT guy), so I premake the daily notes.

I have also to make a point that I treat daily note as an inbox and general note taking space to not get distracted and I process this notes when needed and never when doing research itself.
I keep my journal on paper, so that’s why I don’t include it.
The first vault is a result of analysing what kind of pragmatic usage I need to have from my “conlang development log”, and the second one combines work, self-care, housekeeping and research

I hope it helps.

@Choco - sorta depends on your purpose and need of a daily journal practice.

I’ve reduced the number of pre-identified prompts; since I’m in the vault everyday, the prompts just flow as I use Obsidian.

To me that template is a lofty and intimidating template of work actions; albeit a worthy endeavor if one needs to do this and, realistically, can pull it off. My discipline at doing this is rather poor:)

@beadwood - we’re not alone. I sense many folks are getting on the “bucking trend” band wagon.

If you want to analyze all of these things over time, you’ll need to use a plugin like Dataview. If your analytically and technologically inclined, it is worth the time to use Dataview. @beadwood illustrates his use, i.e. Mood:: Positive . These are inline data fields that can be queried by the Dataview plugin.

However, if you don’t wanna get on the Dataview band wagon right away, the core search plugin has a low entry bar and is pragmatically useful.

Instead of a prompt, what I do now is make a link out of a word or phraes in what I’m writing. For example, this winter I am commuting to and from work on a new fat tire e-bike, I know that is something I want to keep track of, so I highlight e-bike and surround it with [[e-bike]] to make it a link.

At some point, I’ll get self prompted to see what I’ve written about my e-bike life. I use the built in search plugin with a query [[e-bike]], all the results are returned. I can peruse or copy them into a MOC like note to look at them all or maybe toss them on a canvas for a visual treatment. Doing this activity generates all kinds of thoughts; too many actually…