What keeps you from the final switch to Obsidian?

For more than a decade my default note taking app was Notepad++. That changed with me discovering Obsidian, but… I still find myself going back to Notepad++. So, I asked myself: what are the issues that drive me back to np++?

1. Proper autocomplete functionality. Obsidian has amazing friction-less note taking flow, but good autocomplete would make it almost perfect. Imagine you write a text and long words just appear and you select them with a TAB or Enter key. I’m referring to Notepad++ autocomplete functionality that autocompletes words already used in the note. This makes it blazing fast and still provides greater speed of typing.

If there would be a will, I guess it would be possible to go beyond current note and use some kind of word index file of the vault, but with a condition that it would not affect the speed (it could be an option that user can select).

Currently there is a plugin (GitHub - Yeboster/autocomplete-obsidian: Obsidian plugin to provide text autocomplete), but you need press a key shortcut to activate autocomplete, this makes it useful for programing, but useless for regular text entry.

1. Compare feature. I find myself in need to compare different versions of notes or even different notes that may have similarities. Notepad++ has nice Compare plugin. Of course, just to do comparison, I could just use Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code, but that is a thing that makes me to leave Obsidian :slight_smile:

1. Speed (Resolved). Once, I was trying to switch from Notepad++ to Visual Studio Code + FOAM plugin, but VSC loading speed would drive me back to np++. And of course, FOAM is a great idea, but still in its infancy compared to Obsidian. I find Obsidian’s speed pretty balanced for great work experience.

Now, what are the things that keep you from making the final switch? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you please split this two feature request in two, search the forum, use the FR template and use proper FR titles?

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.