What are the popular PKM Methodologies and Workflows out there?

Curious to what else is out there, the ones I’m familiar with are

1. Tiago Forte’s Building a Second Brain / PARA System
  2. Zettelkasten understood through the various blog posts, Sonke Ahren’s Book, and Sascha from Zettelkasten De Book
  3. Incremental Learning
  4. Nickmilo IMF System

Those are the only ones I’m aware of, what else is commonly recommended?

26 Likes

I’ve been seeing a lot of “Digital Gardens” and “Evergreen Notes” bubbling up. Do these count?

2 Likes

@malavika Digital Gardens is just analogy for a notes collection and evergreen notes is his personal notes philosophy. They aren’t quite methodologies or workflows yet.

You might be interested in Public Note Collection Examples

3 Likes

It’s great to have a generalized methodolgy or workflow, but to be honest, just like task management, knowledge management is a very personal thing. It’s good to draw ideas from others’ workflows and formulate your own!

3 Likes

He has an actual, specific workflow too https://notes.andymatuschak.org/zVFGpprS64TzmKGNzGxq9FiCDnAnCPwRU5T

And his other ideas are nicely collected and presented in this outline https://notes.andymatuschak.org/zhmLXArqiCMDr9Q13ViqN3hh3SmrKzjQxWAr

7 Likes

@Piotr,

The second set of notes you mention is very good.

§Note-writing systems

Excellent, actually.

Thanks.

1 Like

Of all systems/workflows that I’ve run into, this is the one that speaks to me the most. I think it’s very elegant and clear, and is structured in a way to incentivize good writing and thinking. Thanks for sharing this.

I don’t mean to be Ironic or “meta” but is your Public Note Collection Examples evergreen? Curious if it’s been updated recently…

…also if anyone is aware, I am looking for an updated “evergreen” summary of PKNs being used on Obsidian. I’ve been flirting with a number of them (PARA, Zetelkast, Milo’s IMF… and now, uncommitted to any of them, have 300+ files and am beginning to think it matters less the methodology and more just committing to the time it takes to go through and review, do a few passes of all the notes to organize organize organize.

It gets updated if people post new examples. I would fold them into the initial post. I’m not sure what you mean by evergreen. I don’t go searching for new note collections but if I stumble across one I would add it to the list. If you are looking for newer examples of public note collections, people occasionally post in the Obsidian Publish Collection.

1 Like

I combined most of them in my Second Brain. Using PARA as a general setup, I can have repeated notes around family, health, personal, work in areas, and a dedicated folder for Zettelkasten. I am applying the linking your thoughts from Nick Milo with the principles of Sönke Smart Note Taking. If this is of interest, I wrote a little about how I do it and much more in Personal Knowledge Management Workflow for a Deeper Life — as a Computer Scientist |.

1 Like