Asking for advice before I do something irreversible.
I currently have a folder structure with a variety of non-.md personal files, like Powerpoints, Docs, executables, ebooks etc. For now my Obsidian vault lives within a sub-subfolder, but it reproduces the folder hierarchy of the whole structure so that it’s easier to get my bearings.
I’m tempted to go all-out to get the structure of the vault and the folders to mirror each other : I would move the vault so that my personal-files root folder would also bethe vault folder, and have the notes be distributed in the exact same folder structure as the other filetypes.
I see a couple potential issues with this and would like to see if I’m missing some :
- If later I try to separate the vault and personal file folders, would Obsidian know to move only the notes ?
- What would it do with embeddables like .pdf and .png that were not initially in the vault ?
- Assuming I go with “don’t show non-vault files”, there’s a risk I would delete a folder that appears empty but contains in fact other filetypes
- Performance issues ? (My personal folder is 15-20 GB at the moment, my vault is a couple MB)
- Something else entirely ?