Weird issues deleting property value text?

Steps to reproduce

1. Open the sandbox vault and keep it in editing view
  2. Add a property to the current note and name it “url”
  3. Paste this text into the property value: “https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/17yn2aw/how_messy_is_the_codebase_of_aaa_games/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x&utm_name=mweb3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button” and press enter
  4. Edit the value and delete everything after “aaa_games” and press enter
  5. Notice how your last edit did not change the text
  6. Edit the value again and delete the text entirely and press enter
  7. Notice how the text reappears, unchanged

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Y

Expected result

On step 4, the value text would have accepted the edits and removed everything after “aaa_games”.
On step 6, the value text would have accepted the text deletion and appeared empty.

Actual result

No changes to the property value text occurred on step 4 or 6.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.3
Installer version: v1.4.14
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22631
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

To actually make the desired change, I can do this:

1. Copy the value text up to the “aaa_games” part
  2. Select all the value text and type anything to replace it, like “hello” and press enter
  3. Select all the value text again and paste in what I copied in step 1

Super cumbersome, obviously. It’s also weird that I can’t just jump right to step 3 from step 1 here. It’s like you need to type something entirely different into the field in order to “unlock” it for a real edit in step 3.

My best guess: It seems like the property value will only accept text additions. For example, you can always append additional text, but as demonstrated, trying to delete any or all of the text gets rejected for some reason.

No. You are incorrect unfortunately. Pressing enter in the step 4 will trigger input suggestion. You can bypass the suggestion by pressing esc before pressing enter. The input suggestion works as expected.

Lol wow, missed that entirely. :sweat_smile: Pretty fortunate actually, no bug to fix!

Although… It might make sense to exclude the current property’s value from input suggestions?

Since the user is attempting to change the value, they are signaling they want something different than what’s in there, so why suggest what’s currently in there? If it was only suggesting values from other notes, I think it would have clued me in to what was happening and avoided my confusion.

Anyway, thanks for your help! Marking as solved.

Yes sure but that is quite complex to implement I guess because suggestions doesn’t keep the necessary information—they just have value without the knowledge of origin. In this case the machine cannot know if you want to add letters or delete letters. You tell that by pressing esc.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.