Wander Feature

Use case or problem

When trying to generate ideas, I like to see random notes. I have used the Random Notes core plugin and it’s helpful to surface something interesting, but each random note is unrelated to the last. This limits the value of doing this exercise, at least for my use case.

Proposed solution

A way to navigate related random notes through the graph view to understand connections. It would ideally continue scanning automatically, changing notes every few seconds.

TheBrain, another tool I use, has this “Wander” feature where it flows across linked connections and it allows one to identify potential thoughts that should be linked to others.

5 Likes

Neat idea. In the meantime, you may want to look at the Smart Random Notes and Journey community plugins.

These are really cool! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I’d love to be able to generate a random note from among the notes directly or indirectly connected with the current note.

This means it would depend on the set depth level:

• If I have the depth set to 1, I’d get a random note from the first-order connections.
  • If I have the depth set to 2, I’d get a random note from the first-order and second-order connections.
  • etc.

There could be two modes:

• one where the random note is immediately opened.
  • one where you see the random note selected on the graph (both local and global), and you decide whether you want to open it or not.

Can you give a few more details about the “Wander” feature of the TheBrain? It sounds interesting.

That’s a great design. It should be pretty easy to build as a plugin!

Hey, so if you go to www.thebrain.com, the background animation on the page shows exactly how the “Wander” feature functions.